Contract, San Francisco, CA
We’re on a mission to design a better world. And we want your help.
We’re a tight-knit group of designers, strategists, builders, writers, and connectors fueled by curiosity, optimism, and a passion for social change. Our work tackling some of the world’s toughest design challenges takes us all over the globe—from communities across Asia and Africa to our own neighborhoods.
We have several 3-6 month opportunities based out of our San Francisco studio kicking off this Fall and Winter. We ask that designers join us full-time in the studio as we work in highly collaborative project teams. Projects may include international travel for design research and field testing.
There are no remote opportunities. You must come to the studio to work collaboratively with the team.
IDEO.org is looking for contract Interaction Designers to join our San Francisco studio.
As an Interaction Designer, you’ll design and prototype websites, apps, and other digital experiences with human centered insights and needs at their core. You’ll be inspired by how technology can leapfrog limitations and pain points in today’s user experience, as well as imagine new uses for technology to address access, literacy, security, and other barriers. Ultimately, you’ll create innovative user experiences that will help low-income people move from distrust, disenfranchisement, and exclusion to become confident and empowered.
Nerding out over interaction design is a given. Getting passionate about solving challenges for the world’s most impoverished communities is a must.
- Construct information architectures, interaction models, and design detailed screens and screen-based interactions
- Take your designs beyond wireframes into high-fidelity mockups and interactive prototypes, some of which will be implemented by developers
- Drive an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback and constructive criticism of users and partners
- Collaborate closely with multidisciplinary teams of software engineers, designers, and stakeholders of our partner organizations
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Learn new tools and do self-guided work within a fast-paced environment
- A portfolio of strong visual and interaction design work
- 3-5+ years of professional experience prototyping at varying levels of fidelity from sketches through wireframes and visual mockups
- Ability to convey concepts through wireframes, flows, storyboards, high-fidelity mockups, and interactive prototypes
- Fluency in digital design tools such as Sketch and/or Figma as well as interactive prototyping tools such as Principle, After Effects, and Invision
- Confidence moving beyond wireframes into visually designed screens
- Ability to provide valuable insights and points of view at the intersection of social innovation, business and interaction design
- Experience collaborating with in house and third-party developers in agile sprints, stewarding the transfer of design to development
- Background in designing and prototyping app animation
- Cross-cultural design experience and experience working in emerging markets
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IDEO.org is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.