We’re on a mission to design a more equitable world. And we want your help.
IDEO.org improves the lives of poor and vulnerable communities through design. To effect that change, we work directly with foundations, nonprofits, and social enterprises; create tools and resources that teach human-centered design; and influence the social sector with stories of human-centered design in action. IDEO.org works directly with organizations across a range of focus areas including health, financial services, equity, and agriculture.
IDEO.org is seeking a visionary leader to join our team as the Lead of the Billion Girls CoLab, a new initiative designed to use collective problem solving to address systemic challenges in the sexual and reproductive health sector and design solutions for the reproductive health needs of the next generation of girls.
You are passionate about the intersection of the social sector, the private sector, design, and reproductive health. You have deep experience in global health, reproductive health, social enterprise, or a relevant field, and you can’t wait to roll up your sleeves and build a new initiative at the intersection of design + reproductive health. You’re entrepreneurial by nature and have started new things. You love building networks to unlock opportunities, inspire others, and create impact - and raising funding isn’t daunting. You know how to close the deal, mobilize the team, and get things done. You’re guided by your business sense and your people sense, and you know how to make decisions that are good for an organization, its strategy, its impact, its people and its sustainability. Balancing multiple projects and prioritizing your time comes naturally to you.
About the Billion Girls CoLab:
The Billion Girls CoLab is inspired by IDEO’s efforts in the for-profit world, where designers are leading collaborative processes in partnership with companies and government to address challenges such as the Circular Economy, Collaborative Cities and Open Financial Systems. As a new initiative there is still much to explore, but we imagine the Billion Girls CoLab will bring together a cohort of nonprofit and for-profit member organizations who are united in their desire to build empathy for the needs of the next generation of girls, and to design creative, future-oriented ways to meet these needs. We’re particularly keen to design for girls reproductive health needs, but we imagine that over time the CoLab will take a holistic, human-centered approach to girls’ health and well being.
The CoLab model anchors on a series of in-persons moments that enable member organizations to unpack hard problems, rapidly design potential solutions, prototype solutions in the real world, and invest in implementing those that hold promise. During the first year, our design sprints and implementation work will be based out of IDEO.org’s Nairobi studio, and the work of bringing together partners, members and supporters will span IDEO.org’s three studios.
About Your Role:
As a leader of the Billion Girls CoLab, we’ll ask you to wear many hats, but here are some we’ll ask you to wear most often:
Business + Relationships
- Raise funding and manage participation from foundations, philanthropists, companies, INGOs, and community based organizations
- Leverage existing relationships in the sector, and build new ones, to guide organizations to they operationalize the solutions we design together.
- Represent the program and provide thought leadership at health sector conferences, technical workshops, and in publications.
- Act as a subject matter expert with a finger on the pulse of reproductive health and the priority countries and markets that we operate in.
- Apply a venture-focused, commercially driven approach to designing for sectors that are historically very donor driven
- Serve as a voice and expert in adolescent programming, immersing yourself in what’s been done, and where the sector needs to push and challenge itself.
- Take a 30,000ft view on the Billion Girls CoLab, setting strategic direction and goals, foreseeing challenges to implementation, and actively seeking out strategies and resources to reduce risk.
- Based on input from prospective members and funders, design the model including membership structure, business model, and long term strategy.
- Roll up your sleeves and design and prototype alongside the team to push initiatives forward
- Guide discrete project and experiment bursts throughout the overall design, in-market testing, and implementation process, ensuring teams do their best creative and operational thinking
- Create and lead meetings and convenings with the Billion Girls community and effectively lead local and remote teams who are supporting these moments.
- 40% travel, primarily to East Africa
- 10+ years of relevant experience - mostly in health and/or design
- Multiple strong relationships and partnerships throughout the global health community, particularly in East Africa.
- Business development and fundraising experience with companies, nonprofits, foundations, and individual philanthropists.
- Excellent demonstrated skills working with diverse teams, including the ability to inspire, motivate, influence, and hold colleagues accountable to high standards (ideally with some experience with creative talent).
- Comfort with driving results in a highly ambiguous environment.
- Strong consulting and customer service skills, which help you listen to the needs of others and frame opportunities around them.
- Exceptional communication skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IDEO.org is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.