IDEO.org improves the lives of poor and vulnerable communities through design. To effect that change, we work directly with foundations, nonprofits, and social enterprises; create tools and resources that teach human-centered design; and influence the social sector with stories of human-centered design in action. IDEO.org works directly with organizations across a range of focus areas including health, financial services, gender equity, education, and agriculture.
IDEO.org has an exciting opportunity for an energetic and highly motivated Operations Specialist to join our organization in New York. As part of our nimble and dynamic team, you will wear multiple hats, get great insight into what it takes to run a design non-profit, and work in a super creative, fun and collaborative environment. This is not your traditional non-profit!
We are looking for someone who is a critical thinker who can analyze situations and make decisions geared toward the organization’s best interests rather than those of a single team. In addition to ensuring our risk mitigation is high, both when it comes to compliance, legal, and the safety and security of our staff, you will also play a critical role championing the general experience around operations for our people and supporting our robust operations function. You will be a key member of our core team and you’ll gain significant exposure to all organizational functions including HR, Business Operations, and Finance. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who enjoys the dynamic nature of a fast-paced, ever-changing, creative environment.
You need to have a healthy mix of hard and soft skills, and being able to think with both your head and heart. You will have to be able to dive deep down in minute details and the nitty gritty, and at the same time be able to zoom out and see the bigger picture, always placing the humans that make up this organization at the center.
- Responsible for overseeing local and travel security processes in each studio, adherence to those processes, and updating related resources (such as emergency plans, on-boarding documents, security assets, etc.)
- Prepare and/or oversee security briefings for teams prior to travel.
- Prior to bidding on work, signing a contract with a partner or sending a team to the field, assist in scoping out security needs and provide recommendation for leadership regarding location risk.
- Manage and coordinate partnership with our security provider International SOS and other service providers.
- Support project leads by coordinating response and decision making for high risk situations when teams are in the field and coordinate response to emergency situations, working with leadership, our security provider International SOS, insurance providers and partners.
- Administer our emergency alert system, AlertMedia.
- Determine appropriate ongoing training for leadership and staff, regarding safety and security.
- Interpret the law, and our pro-bono lawyers’ guidance for IDEO.org, based on our risk appetite, and help develop review and reporting processes and implement creative solutions in a manner that reduces risks to IDEO.org.
- Review incoming and outgoing grants, contracts, service agreements etc. for high-risk or unusual regulations and alert the executing staff for items to be aware of during the execution of the project.
- Assist partnerships with proposals and questionnaires, providing operational information.
- Draft new legal documents and research issues around IP ownership, confidentiality, equit, trademarking, and partnership models.
- Coordinate development of new policies or changes in existing policies that fall within the BizOps realm, and liaise with pro-bono lawyers around interpretation as related to changes in the Employee handbook.
- Assist the efforts of the operation team to rethink how we capture, store and share out institutional knowledge related to all design deliverables, design processes, and all operational processes, resources and tools.
- Lead donation receipt and acknowledgement process and conduct an annual audit review of donations.
- Support efforts to drive org-wide communication and collaboration across teams.
- Support the operations teams in solving for organizational pain points, and adhering to organizational goals and strategy.
- Identify overarching opportunities across all functions and studios to streamline IDEO.org's business operations
- 2-4 years of relevant experience supporting a creative culture and executing on operational responsibilities
- Ability to manage many moving parts and attention to detail, is an absolute must, at the same time being able to zoom out and see the bigger picture.
- An excellent communicator in writing and in person and can effectively communicate with both an internal and external audience
- Able to switch seamlessly between self-directed independent work and highly collaborative teamwork
- Eager to learn more about how to design and execute stellar employee operational experience and operations across a mission-driven organization
- Has a “can-do” attitude and is solutions-driven with the ability to thrive in ambitious and changing situations
- Thrives in creating order out of chaos
- Has a creative approach to operations and a willingness to constantly iterate and improve tools, systems and processes
- Has the gumption to know what they don’t know and isn’t afraid to ask for help
- You’re eager, a quick learner, and collaborative and ready to join a studio of people helping to bring human-centered design to some of the world’s toughest challenges
- Familiarity with the Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Slack and Adobe Creative Suite experience is preferred.
- Experience with Salesforce, Adobe Sign and 10,000ft is a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IDEO.org is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.