Full Time, Temporary, San Francisco
We’re on a mission to design a more equitable world. And we want your help.
IDEO.org is nonprofit design consultancy. We’re a tight-knit group of designers, strategists, builders, writers, and connectors fueled by curiosity, optimism, and a passion for social change. Our work tackling some of the world’s toughest design challenges takes us all over the world—from communities across Asia and Africa to neighborhoods in our own backyards.
IDEO.org has an opportunity for a Film/Video Intern to join our San Francisco studio this Winter (January- March). The intern will work with teams across the organization on a range of projects and formats—from short stories, to field research interviews, to documentary style pieces. This may include international travel, creating assets that support our project deliverables and helping with storytelling efforts related to IDEO.org’s mission as a nonprofit. You will be joining multidisciplinary teams working on some of the biggest challenges affecting marginalized communities around the world, learning new design and storytelling skills, and working in a deeply collaborative culture.
Hands on camera (SLR) and editing skills are essential, as well as a passion for great storytelling. The ideal candidate has some experience in documentary style filmmaking, is comfortable working within multidisciplinary teams, and is interested in working on a wide array of film/video projects.
- Work on projects that spread across field research documentation, editing of new and b-roll content to craft new stories, and working with design teams to capture the essence of new solutions that address challenges related to poverty and inequity.
- Support the communications team on storytelling projects
- Create storytelling pieces, short films, video prototypes, and more
- Bring communications inspiration into the organization, and share it with the rest of the studio
- Flex your collaboration skills—working with designers of all disciplines on projects
- Contribute to IDEO.org San Francisco studio culture
- Confidence using a variety of cameras for photography and video production
- Fluency with editing software, such as Premier or Final Cut
- A diverse portfolio, featuring with a range of mediums from short to long storytelling formats.
- Strong film/video fundamentals (lighting, framing, editing, interview skills, audio recording, file management)
- Desire to experiment with new formats such as VR, drone, AR, etc
- Keen attention to detail and execution in craft
- Excellent communications skills and professionalism
- The ability to thrive and multi-task in a highly energetic, fast-paced environment
- Open to domestic and international travel
Note: We are seeking applicants who are currently enrolled or recently graduated from a professional degree or certificate program or an undergraduate program.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IDEO.org is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.