New York City
We’re on a mission to design a more equitable world. And we want your help.
IDEO.org is nonprofit design consultancy. We’re a tight-knit group of designers, strategists, builders, writers, and connectors fueled by curiosity, optimism, and a passion for social change. Our work tackling some of the world’s toughest design challenges takes us all over the world—from communities across Asia and Africa to neighborhoods in our own backyards.
IDEO.org has an opportunity for a Service Designer to join our New York studio. In this role, you'll design services rooted in the lives of clients and providers in diverse contexts, from the way volunteers deliver food aid to refugees to the way patients receive care by telehealth in New York City. You will skillfully navigate the complex ecosystems we work within to ensure that our solutions can launch, scale and sustain in market in order to affect real change in the world. There are many paths that lead here, and we’re excited about candidates with a wide array of past roles and experiences, from healthcare to architecture to strategy. The most important qualification is that you’ve had professional experience designing delightful, sustainable, and scalable services centered in the needs of real people.
- Collaborate closely with multidisciplinary teams of designers, engineers, and researchers to create programs and services that improve people’s lives.
- Conduct design research in low- and middle-income communities across Asia, Latin America, Africa, and the United States, and move quickly into prototyping solutions at various levels of fidelity.
- Produce working materials and deliverables such as system maps, customer journeys, service blueprints, and pilot roadmaps.
- Test your prototypes and designs with real users in the field.
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually.
- Instill confidence in the design process among our partner organizations.
- Ensure our partners are equipped to steward the solutions we design to market.
- Learn new tools and do self-guided work within a fast-paced environment.
- Contribute to IDEO.org studio culture.
- 3-5 years of professional experience in a design consultancy or equivalent position (e.g. in-house at a service industry or large nonprofit) working in multidisciplinary teams to design and deliver services.
- Fluency in the human-centered design process from qualitative research and synthesis to ideation, prototyping, and implementation.
- An absolute professional who leads by example, treats peers and partners with respect, and seeks and gives constructive feedback.
- A top-notch communicator, able to convey research insights and complex concepts to a wide diversity of audiences in simple, human terms.
- Comfortable switching seamlessly between self-directed independent work and highly collaborative teamwork.
- Experience working effectively with external stakeholders from clients to funders.
- Solution-focused and medium-agnostic, willing to step out of your core skill set or discipline to find the correct solution to a challenge.
- Able and excited to travel ~30% of the time to nearly anywhere in the world.
- Experienced working/collaborating with a diversity of cultures and sensitive to the challenges of low-income populations.
- Cultural sensitivity, creativity, and resourcefulness—as comfortable finding your way through a bustling market in Uganda as you are in a design studio workshop.
- A thoughtful, yet playful approach to leading creative process and teams.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IDEO.org is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.