Full-time, temporary role
Start date: As soon as possible
End date: December, 2021
Location: Siaya County or Kisumu
We’re on a mission to design a better world. And we want your help.
We’re a tight-knit group of designers, strategists, builders, writers, and connectors fueled by curiosity, optimism, and a passion for social change. Our work tackling some of the world’s toughest design challenges takes us all over the world—from communities across Asia and Africa to neighborhoods in our own backyards.
IDEO.org is in search of a Campaign Manager for one of our cornerstone programs in Kenya. We’re designing a communications campaign to spread awareness about the importance of Early Childhood Development in Siaya County in partnership with the Siaya County Government and other local organizations. The current brain science shows that 80% of a child’s brain is developed before the age of 2, but parents often aren’t interacting with and responding to their children in a way that support this development. Brain science shows that children who get attention from their caregivers during the first 1000 days of life fare better in school and find themselves on paths to success.
The Campaign Manager will support implementing campaign briefs and communication materials for local partner organizations so they can spread the campaign messaging in their communities. They will manage the relationships with our local partners whose efforts towards high quality implementation will be key to success. They will be directly collaborating with one or more implementing partners on-the-ground and over the phone through having regular check-ins and answering their questions as needed. They’ll work to ensure seamless operations for the Siaya County program, and will be the point person for the county government during implementation of the campaign. Sometimes the Program Manager might be organizing events in Siaya County, collecting prototyping materials for teams, or checking-in with local partners on the implementation of the campaign. This person is proactive, engaged, and ready to roll up their sleeves and get to work!
This is a remote position, based in Siaya County, with occasional trips to Nairobi and Kisumu. There will be required traveling around Siaya County and the individual will be required to have their own transportation.
The ideal candidate is a strong communicator, multi-tasker, quick and strategic thinker, loves to create structure from chaos, and a natural organizer.
- Provide support to local county partners on implementing and running all aspects of the communications campaign, which will be across a mix of in-person and media channels
- Conduct regular quality assurance check-ins with local teams; host quarterly community moments in Siaya County to synthesize data; identify opportunities for continuous improvement; monitor any issues on the ground with implementing partners or the reception of the work
- Work with and oversee field support staff who are rotating from site to site conducting refresher trainings, observing activities for quality assurance, and providing on-demand support
- With the design team, conduct onboarding trainings with campaign implementing partners throughout Siaya County
- Liaise with the Monitoring and Learning specialist to support them with qualitative and quantitative data gathering and on quality assurance checks
- Build and manage strategic relationships with key partners in the county including the Siaya County Government, KMET, PATH, amongst others
- Develop and manage partner communication strategy
- Organize in-county gatherings
Program level support
- Support the Managing Director, Partnerships Lead, and Design Team to coordinate the work in Siaya County
- Develop and manage production schedules, budget, and deliverables, collaborating with Managing Director and Project Leads
- Manage day-to-day operations of program, i.e. contracts, agreements, applications, filings, etc.
- 5+ years of experience in project and/or campaign management
- Demonstrated skills in strategic partner management, relationship building, business development and/or event production
- Experience working with governments either as a government employee or with the government as your number 1 customer
- Experience implementing large communications campaigns across multiple channels
- Impeccable writing and communication skills
- Strong analytical capabilities
- Ability to collaborate with cross-cutting teams in multiple organizations
- Capacity to work with creative teams and ability to work with ambiguity
- Ability to thrive and multi-task in a highly energetic, fast-paced environment
- A strong drive to address barriers to positive early childhood development
- Kenya work authorization
- Fluency in Luo is helpful, but not required
Please submit applications to this post as follows:
- Your resume (maximum two pages in length)
- A one page cover letter that briefly summarises how you meet the specific skills and experience for this role
- Confirmation that you will be available to join the project on a full time basis for the above stated project period, and can commence the role immediately