Nairobi - Fixed term contract - 5 months
We’re a tight-knit group of designers, strategists, builders, writers, and connectors fueled by curiosity, optimism, and a passion for social change. Our work tackling some of the world’s toughest design challenges takes us all over the world—from communities across Asia and Latin America to neighborhoods in our own backyards.
IDEO.org is has an opportunity for a Monitoring and Learning contractor to join a project team in Nairobi for a fixed-term contract of 5 months, from late May through September 2019. In this role you’ll be responsible for day-to-day management of field monitoring during set-up and implementation of the 8-week live prototype and subsequent activities to refine the program and its monitoring framework for scaled implementation.
IDEO.org is running a three-year program to design and implement a communications campaign to spread awareness about the importance of Early Childhood Development in Siaya County in partnership with the Siaya County Government and other local organizations. The objective of the project is to reach every caregiver in Siaya County with messaging and tools to enable them with the knowledge and skills they need to practice responsive caregiving.
The team will be launching an 8-week live prototype in the middle of June to test out the solutions in a subset of the county. During this phase, we’ll be gathering quantitative and qualitative data to inform refinement of the solution during a 6-week design phase. After that, we’ll lead a full-implementation throughout the county.
The key objective of measurement during the live prototype phase will be to establish actionable insights around how the program can be strengthened for greater reach, engagement and outcomes amongst target audiences. Therefore the ability to not only extract and communicate clear findings to designers, but also actively contribute to the design optimization process will be essential for success in this role. Following the live prototype and program refinement phase the goal will be to establish monitoring tools and processes for ongoing performance tracking, quality assurance and learning as the program scales.
You will be based at our Nairobi studio with frequent travel to Siaya County.
- Work closely with the design team and IDEO.org’s Senior Director of Impact to finalize measurement frameworks, tools and field plans for the live prototype (this work will have commenced before the contractor comes on board)
- Independently manage all activities relating to live prototype data gathering, including set up of data capture systems and recruitment and training of any field support staff required
- Conduct interviews (qual or quant) with audiences and program implementers
- Ensure effective and timely data management by uploading, cleaning, and spot checking data at frequent intervals through the live prototype
- Analyse qualitative and quantitative data and package emerging findings into formats that can be easily communicated and workshopped with design teams
- Practice curiosity and flexibility in your approach to insight generation, being willing to return to the data for additional analysis or conduct follow-up interviews for richer learning
- Work with the Program Manager and Senior Director of Impact to develop a monitoring, quality assurance and learning framework for the final program model and establish the field systems required to implement this framework when the project goes to scale
- Contribute to the development of an Impact Dashboard for efficient and informative performance reporting in the longer term
- Contribute to the development of an Evaluator Guide to support any future independent evaluation of the program, which clearly documents the final program theory of change, key indicator framework and any learning about effective data capture in the Siaya context.
- Contribute actively to our studio culture, by engaging positively with co-workers, participating in weekly studio meetings, and joining for cross-studio brainstorms and events.
At IDEO.org we approach measurement as a design activity and so the contractor should be prepared to work in a highly interactive way via frequent team working sessions and collaborative activities. We therefore expect the contractor to maintain regular office hours in the studio alongside the design team when not in the field in Siaya. We anticipate up to 40% travel to Siaya in the first 3 months of the project, and approximately 20% in the final 2 months.
- A minimum of 5 years of full-time work experience in field research and monitoring in Kenya
- Experience of working with behavioral change interventions. Maternal health or early child development program experience is a bonus, as well as programs using communication campaigns
- Strong field management skills and a passion for problem solving, with experience in managing small budgets, supervising small field teams (2-3 people), liaising with authorities as needed
- Both quantitative and qualitative data collection experience, in particular developing and testing data capture tools, setting up fieldwork, and quality assuring data collection
- Strong data analysis skills with experience in producing actionable insights and recommendations from trends and findings
- Experience in packaging and communicating research and monitoring findings in a creative and engaging way and diverse formats
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build connections and conduct interviews with a wide range of people, in particular those from rural and less advantaged communities
- A comfort with both self-directed independent work and highly collaborative teamwork
- A Bachelor’s degree ideally in one of the social sciences
- Willingness to be in field in Siaya up to 40% in the first three months of the contract
- Fluency in Luo highly desirable
Please submit applications to this post as follows:
- Your resume (maximum two pages in length)
- A one page cover letter that briefly summarizes how you meet the specific skills and experience for this role
- An indication of your daily or weekly rate
- Confirmation that you will be available to join the project on a full time basis for the above stated project period, and can commence a contract by the end of May.