We’re on a mission to design a better world. And we want your help.
IDEO.org is nonprofit design consultancy. We’re a tight-knit group of designers, strategists, builders, writers, and connectors fueled by curiosity, optimism, and a passion for social change. Our work tackling some of the world’s toughest design challenges takes us all over the world—from communities across Asia and Africa to neighborhoods in our own backyards.
IDEO.org has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Human Resources professional to join our team in New York City! You are the ideal candidate if you thrive in a dynamic, creative environment and mix fun with rolling your sleeves up and getting a lot of great work done. Comfortable with ambiguous situations, you will collaborate with the Leadership Team to develop, manage, and ensure all aspects of the Human Resources function align with and contribute to the business objectives. This role is expected to be hands-on and balance the strategic with the tactical while overseeing the full range of HR including: HR Operations, L&D, Experience across the employee lifecycle, Employee Relations and acting as a partner to Talent Acquisition. You possess strong interpersonal skills, empathy for others, and thrive at building solid relationships based on trust. This role functions as a Human Resources expert, key business partner and and will manage a small Talent team (3) across three studios. You will report directly to the CFO.
- Collaborate with cross-functional core team to update company policies and procedures, communicating and enforcing organization values in compliance with all legal and organizational requirements, standards and procedures.
- Assists in the oversight of HRIS, continuously identifying and implementing new processes, technologies, and workflows that will help us grow and maintain an excellent experience for our team
- Ensure ongoing compliance of all legal and organizational requirements, standards, and procedures and advise CFO and Talent Team on needed actions
- Review, track and strategically enhance employee benefits in order to support a growing and diverse employee population. Oversee Open Enrollment and relationship with benefits vendors.
- Lead a tri-annual compensation and promotion calibration across all functions of the the organization
- Advise the design and ongoing execution of L&D practices, including development of internal IDEO.org’ training programs to complement involvement in IDEO’s programs
- Oversee performance management process ensuring Talent Team is equipped to carry out equitable and informed decision-making
- Advise best practices related to Talent Acquisition. Serve as a strategic thought partner to Talent Acquisition to ensure that recruiting goals are aligned to organizational objectives
- Provide clear guidance and perspective on how to manage Employee Relations; coach others on the Talent Team and Leadership Team to address and resolve employee issues promptly, effectively, and objectively while staying aligned with organizational policy and culture
- Ensure accountability and data-driven results to drive organization-wide DEI initiative
- Write, deliver, and facilitate internal communications to help with change management and consistent messaging across the organization.
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the organization, supporting employees through hardship, and influencing managers to enact changes that preserve what’s unique about our culture while helping us evolve to support the needs of our people
- Stay informed on employment best practices through research, industry events, and networking to help us design and evolve best-in-class Talent + Employee Experience
- Manage and lead a team of Talent/HR professionals, providing leadership and mentorship to direct reports with clear direction, regular honest feedback, and personal development
Who you are:
- Passionate about supporting, coaching all members of an organization.
- Deep understanding of foundational HR areas (L&D, compensation, performance management, benefits, payroll, immigration, legal, employee relations)
- Data-driven. Seasoned in working with people analytics to provide valuable insights to business leaders
- Experienced at designing and implementing scalable, high quality operational HR programs, processes and systems
- Strong emotional intelligence, communication and presentation skills and the ability to deal effectively, empathetically, and courteously with all levels of employees and management are required.
- Committed to the professional development of HR and Talent team. Coach and mentor team members, playing an active role in developing expertise. Track record of coaching, mentoring, and supporting upward growth of HR team members
- Experience guiding leaders through organizational design conversations in order to optimize IDEO.org to meet business objectives.
- Previous international HR experience is a plus
- Passionate about our mission
- 8-10 years in related Human Resources roles, with prior experience working in talent management, change management, culture, Organization Design and performance management
- Strong foundation in L&D, compensation, performance management, benefits, payroll, immigration, legal HR compliance, employee relations
- 3 plus years managing a team
- Mixture of start-up and corporate experience preferred
- Related Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in Human Resources and/or Organization Development and advanced certificate in HR (SPHR/GPHR) preferred
- Experience building and optimizing programs across diverse teams and cultures in a global organization
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IDEO.org is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.