Full Time, Temporary
We’re a tight-knit group of designers, strategists, builders, writers, and connectors fueled by curiosity, optimism, and a passion for social change. Our work tackling some of the world’s toughest design challenges takes us all over the world—from communities across Asia and Africa to neighborhoods in our own backyards.
IDEO.org has an opportunity for a business-savvy design thinker to join the San Francisco studio this summer. As part of a multi-disciplinary design team, you’ll blur the lines between business strategy and creativity, helping to design new-to-world offers that are desirable for end-users as well as feasible and financially sustainable for the partner organization. You’ll be part strategist, part operational guru, and part creative problem solver. You’ll work alongside builders and thinkers from different backgrounds. Business acumen is a given. Demonstrated passion for solving challenges facing the world’s most impoverished communities is a must. If you love coming up with revolutionary business models, working in emerging economies, and believe in the transformative power of design - this position’s for you! Internships last between 8 to 12 weeks, beginning in June 2020. MBA students in their first year are highly encouraged to apply.
- Be part of a multi-disciplinary design team that is designing and launching a new product, service or customer experience
- Think holistically about the design of a new offering and the implications related to both the customer’s experience as well as the organization’s ability to implement and scale
- Work closely with the partner organization to develop strategies, timelines, and operational models that appropriately consider the organizational needs, aspirations, and business realities
- Distill business, user, and partner organization constraints into digestible components for the design team
- Create compelling new value propositions for customers
- Develop financial models demonstrating the feasibility of recommendations
- Develop a process to measure results and gather feedback to continuously improve solutions as they scale
- Build the capacity of partner organizations to adopt human-centered design approaches in their own work and ensure they have the competencies needed to replication design solutions on their own
- Travel to various developing countries to work directly with partners in creating business models
- Contribute to IDEO.org San Francisco studio culture
- MBA student or recent MBA grad. MBA students in their first year are highly encouraged to apply.
- Passion for our mission
- Experience launching new businesses, designing new offerings, or business models
- Comfortable collaborating with others, working in multidisciplinary teams, and translating business principles to non-business audiences
- The ability to be self-directed and work comfortably in an ambiguous and dynamic environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Financial modeling skills
- Willingness to travel to developing countries