IDEO.org improves the lives of poor and vulnerable communities through design. To effect that change, we work directly with foundations, nonprofits, and social enterprises; create tools and resources that teach human-centered design; and influence the social sector with stories of human-centered design in action. IDEO.org works directly with organizations across a range of focus areas including health, financial services, gender equity, education, and agriculture.
We have an opportunity for a Sr. Accountant with non-profit experience to join our growing Finance team in San Francisco. The Accounting Lead will be the in house expert on technical accounting issues that apply to our organization. As a part of the Global Core Team, you will oversees the day-to-day financial accounting management of the organization, general ledger activity, payroll, the month-end closing process, financial reporting, cash management, and overall compliance.
The position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer, supervises the Accounts Payable Specialist, and involves significant interaction with the other members of management, core teams and global studios. This individual will also be responsible for coordinating the annual audit conducted by IDEO.org’s outside auditors as well as any audits required by our donors.
- Monthly Close: Ensure the timely and accurate processing of all transactions for month-end closing. Oversee the monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts to supporting schedules and bank statements
- Financial Reporting: Create monthly financial reports working collaboratively with the CFO to perform insightful financial and operational analyses and prepare the quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements. Compile monthly financial package for internal distribution as well as quarterly financial package to be included in Board materials. Prepare other specialized reports as necessary
- General Accounting: In a very hands-on manner, manage full-cycle accounting, including payroll, billing & accounts receivable, procure-to-pay, accruals, and fixed assets. Responsible for implementation of expense allocation process. Responsible for monthly balance sheet reconciliations, analysis of Income & Expenses, understand and explain all variances against budget.
- Internal Controls: Assist in the review, design, implementation, and testing of internal controls. Maintain and adapt internal controls as the organization grows and changes
- Tax Compliance: Work with auditors to prepare information for US state and federal tax returns, including the Federal Form 990 ensuring that all tax reports are filed in a timely manner.
- Advisor: Serve as a valued accounting & operational partner to others in the organization; contribute to increasing the financial literacy and business acumen of the organization
- Strong knowledge of technical accounting issues to be applied to a non profit organization
- Management: Lead and mentor the Accounts Payable Specialist
- Ad hoc: ability to own and manage special projects, as needed.
- 7-10+ years of accounting experience with at least 2 years at the manager level
- You have at least 3 years of nonprofit accounting experience
- Experience with accounting software systems (Quikbooks Online a plus), payroll services and expense reporting systems (Expensify a plus)
- You enjoy developing and supporting early talent
- Understanding and working knowledge of accounting and finance theories and practice
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and problem solving abilities
- Cross-functional collaborations skill
- hands-on approach to management and operational duties
- Understands the big picture, but is also able to step into the numbers for detailed monthly analysis
- Detail- and results-oriented team player who is dedicated to getting the job done accurately and on a timely basis; possesses a strong sense of urgency
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, start-up environment; should be able to identify departmental needs and take initiative to implement solutions
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet project deadline
- Prior experience with leadership, coaching and mentoring of staff
- Self-starter with an enthusiastic approach to responsibilities
Equal Opportunity Employer:
IDEO.org is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.