We’re a tight-knit group of designers, strategists, builders, writers, and connectors fueled by curiosity, optimism, and a passion for social change. Our work tackling some of the world’s toughest design challenges takes us all over the world—from communities across Asia and Africa to neighborhoods in our own backyards.
IDEO.org has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Design Lead to join our vibrant New York studio. We are looking for an experienced creative leader that is passionate about making real and meaningful impact through design, and has a wealth of experience in visual UX, UI, and developing digital experiences across a variety of mediums.
From our multi-disciplinary design studio, you’ll tackle complex, poverty-related challenges alongside a rockstar team of builders and thinkers from different backgrounds. With frequent trips that will take you to Africa, South Asia, and across the USA, you’ll lead and collaborate with a team of designers focused on turning human insights into tangible products, services, and consumer experiences, and help our partner organizations carry those designs forward around the world.
Are you a fit?
As a design leader at IDEO.org your first instinct is to join and build alongside teams, demonstrating excellence through doing. To be a fit for this role, you have 8+ years of demonstrated experience in interaction/industrial/visual design. As a designer, you understand many parts of the design process. You might lean more towards apps, or you might be a web-storytelling guru. You may have started your career in a traditional design discipline (graphic, interaction, industrial, etc) but you’ve spent the last few years going deep in creating beautiful digital experiences.
In this role you’ll help teams navigate some of the toughest challenges of our time—from building a feedback mechanism to improve refugees’ lives to creating an app that allows low-income people to access healthy financial services for the very first time. You’ll create inspired, visionary experiences, and get your hands dirty making real change happen for the people that need it most. Come join us, and change your life.
- 8+ years of interaction/product design experience across a variety of digital media.
- Your portfolio shows a depth of thinking, conceptual skills, and a sensitivity to beautiful design details.
- You are a natural collaborator and seek to empower and bring out the best in collaborative teams.
- You love mentoring other designers, and are excited about building others’ skills.
- You lead teams by making, using your experience to guide more than manage.
- You are an elegant simplifier.
- You understand how to turn insights about human behavior and needs into tangible concepts.
- You are able to balance between tackling complex systemic problems holistically, and diving into the details that matter.
- You’ve successfully launched digital products, and are comfortable vetting and overseeing development partners through an iterative process of design implementation.
- You are comfortable taking bold steps and defining a creative vision even if it scares you.
- Willing and able to travel internationally ~30% of the time
- Contribute to IDEO.org studio culture
- Experienced leading teams through a rigorous human centered design process
- You’ve worked/collaborated with a diversity of cultures and are sensitive to the challenges of low-income populations.