iCapital is powering the world’s alternative investment marketplace. Our financial technology platform has transformed how advisors, wealth management firms, asset managers, and banks evaluate and recommend bespoke public and private market strategies for their high-net-worth clients. iCapital services approximately $134 billion in global client assets invested in 1,065 funds, as of June 2022.
iCapital has been named to the Forbes Fintech 50 for five consecutive years (2018 – 2022); a back-to-back selection by Forbes to its list of Best Startup Employers; and a two-time winner of MMI/Barron’s Solutions Provider award (See link below).
About the Role
iCapital is hiring a Senior Vice President, Fund Attorney, to join its Legal group with a focus on Canadian funds and securities law issues as iCapital expands its offering in the region. The focus of this role will include representing iCapital in connection with Canadian private funds on a wide spectrum of matters including capital raising, marketing, investor relations, fund formation and structuring, corporate transactional matters, etc. The role will also be responsible for helping develop iCapital’s Canadian entity governance structure, compliance, and regulatory issues, and expanding iCapital’s technology platform to be accessible to Canadian investors. This position will work closely with the General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel throughout the fund formation process.
- Negotiate various agreements with counterparties including fund managers and distribution agents.
- Draft and review of private fund offering materials, partnership agreements, and other private fund legal documentation.
- Serve as in-region expert on Canadian securities laws and regulatory concerns.
- Advise on the legal implications of offering new and existing products and services.
- Coordinate with outside legal counsel with respect to a variety of issues including regulatory, corporate and fund investment work.
- Draft and review various contracts, non-disclosure agreements, and other legal documentation.
- Perform ad hoc research projects.
- 8+ years of fund formation experience within the Investment Management space in Canada (Private Equity and Hedge Fund)
- Strong knowledge of provincial and territorial securities laws, instruments, and policies; detailed knowledge and experience with registrant regulation (including NI 31-103 and IIROC), private placements and laws of general application to an asset management business and fund offerings in Canada (including privacy, money laundering and sanctions)
- Strong experience in Canadian securities laws and regulatory framework, drafting and negotiating fund documents, side letters, placement agreements and related fund materials.
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario or the equivalent in another province Law firm or in-house experience at an asset management firm
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Willingness to learn new topics and work in an evolving business environment
- High level of integrity
- Organized and detail-oriented with big picture capability
- Familiarity with U.S. securities laws a plus.
iCapital offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a competitive total compensation program consisting of salary, equity for all full-time employees, annual performance bonus; 100% employer paid Group Benefits (including medical, dental, vison, prescription, insurance, virtual telemedicine and mental health counseling, and an employee assistance program) for employees and their dependents, unlimited paid time off (PTO), parental leave, and a corporate gym membership.
iCapital offers most employees the flexibility to work in the office three to four days and remotely for the remainder of the week. Every department has different needs, and some positions will be designated in-office jobs, based on their function.
For additional information on iCapital, please visit https://www.icapitalnetwork.com/about-us Twitter: @icapitalnetwork | LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/icapital-network-inc Awards Disclaimer: https://www.icapitalnetwork.com/about-us/recognition/
iCapital is proud to support a fair and inclusive workplace, in which all applicants have an opportunity to fulfill their potential and every person has the right to equal treatment with respect to employment without discrimination. iCapital does not tolerate any discrimination contrary to the Ontario Human Rights Code, including on the grounds of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status or disability.