Hyundai Motor Group is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. The Group’s Urban Air Mobility Division is designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities, allowing passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Powertrain organization of UAM Division of Hyundai Motor Group is engaged in the development of innovative new propulsion solutions for next generation aircraft. The Dynamic Systems team is responsible for design, integration, qualification, and certification of the gearboxes, propellers, rotors and associated systems. This position will work closely with Flight Technology, Airframe, Assembly & Integration, Vehicle Management System, Flight Controls, and System Safety teams to ensure the dynamic systems are optimally crafted to provide a safe and reliable means to propel our next gen aircraft.
What you can do:
Your experience from the fixed wing or rotorcraft sectors is a perfect launching point for this role. Rotating machinery is your thing. You know it inside an out - whether you tinker with your own airplane or scratch-build RC helicopters, you get it. You know how to take a machine and push it to groundbreaking high performance. Be a part of the innovative team who will drive the vision of building the first eVTOL that just a few years ago wasn't even a possibility. Through our inhouse resources and collaboration partners you will be crafting it. When you look up and watch the prototype fly over, you will see how you enabled the next generation of mobility.
- Responsible for rotor blade design activities; this involves crafting 3D conceptual layouts of rotor blades including rough sizing, creation of surfaces with compound contours, section property development, laminate design and design considerations pertinent to mass production
- Interact with Aerodynamicists, Acousticians, Dynamicists and Stress and Fatigue Analysts
- Create technical specifications, design components and assemblies in Catia V6, create 2D drawings with appropriate GD&T and release those drawings in the GAM PLM system
- Responsible for the components/assemblies designed from conceptual design through buildup and test of the prototype air vehicles.
- Support the Dynamic Systems Team in the integration of the rotor system into the air vehicle in the following areas:
- Rotor blade to hub integration
- Rotor blade instrumentation integration
- Technical oversite of the suppliers of any components which assemble into the rotor blade
- Collaborate with the Assembly and Integration Team to provide prototype parts to support system level testing and engineering builds
- Partner with the Test and Evaluation Team to plan, support, and conduct tests as required
- Maintain and update Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA) reports for the rotor system and components
- Create Purchase Requisitions and other engineering administrative tasks as required to support prototype build and testing
What you can contribute:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 5 years’ experience working on helicopter and/or tiltrotor rotor systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in using a 3D Computer Aided Design System (Catia V6, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Auto CAD or equivalent)
- Conceptual design including 3D layouts
- Vehicle and related sub-component product development processes
- Familiarity with composite rotor blade production processes
- Works well with all levels of management, including executive management
- Must display ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans
- Must be able to accept personal responsibility and accountability for major analytical and planning assignments
- Proven experience with successfully Interacting directly with management and multi-functional leaders as required
- Strong teamwork skills; able to develop consensus and move the program forward
You may also be able to:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering degree (equivalent or above)
- 10 years’ experience working on rotor systems
- Experience with developing rotor system test plans
- Experience with data collection and analysis
- Prior background with rotor system tests
- Knowledge of a Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software such as 3D Experience
- Prior background knowledge of electric and hybrid powertrain systems
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: email@example.com
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon GAM’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.