Hyundai Motor Group is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. The Group’s Urban Air Mobility Division is designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities, allowing passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
At GAM in Battery Technology & Innovation Team, we have embarked on a mission to support creation of a ground-breaking future in urban air transportation using eVTOL (Electrical Vertical Takeoff and Landing) aircraft. We believe that innovation and creativity at each step in the development are the key to bringing solutions that help to improve lives of common people. If you are a person who does not accept the status quo in this regard and want to be part of crafting this exciting new future along with us, this is where you belog.
We work on the cutting edge of Battery Technology to build a state of the art, safe, sustainable, and efficient energy storage solution for eVTOL aircraft. We are looking for a research scientist who is interested in developing the next generation of batteries for electrified aviation applications. The ideal candidate must be self-motivated, team oriented, passionate about the advancement of technologies, and driven to build the next generation of battery technology. In this role, you will work closely with scientists/engineers from multi-functional teams of battery R&D, battery system development, and battery management system to advance next generation battery cell technology from theory to applications. Then to prototypes and then finally, production.
What you can do:
- Review, analyze and report the development trends of next generation battery technologies
- Own the development and characterization of new battery technologies
- Collaborate with external R&D entities to advance battery cell chemistry, materials, cell structure and manufacturing processes
- Participate in crafting long term road map for cell chemistry advancement for eVTOL application
- Work with multi-functional teams during DOE activities and analyze results
What you can contribute:
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related fields with 5+ years industrial experience in battery R&D or M.Sc in Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related fields with 7+ years industrial experience in battery R&D
- Deep understanding of secondary and primary battery chemistry, battery materials, battery cell design and battery cell assembly/manufacturing processes
- Demonstrate the awareness of battery technologies and their applications in different industrial fields
- Experience in battery material development, cell design, and cell manufacturing processes with a proven track record of technical excellency in launching new cell chemistries optimized for energy, power and thermal safety aspects.
- Deep understanding of battery’s first principles, experience in failure and root cause analysis in battery R&D
- Extensive hand-on experience in performing analytical techniques for chemical, electrochemical and physical analysis such as EIS, GITT, SEM, FIB, TEM, EDS, XPS, XRD, acoustic microscopy, etc.
- Excellent communication skills in both technical and non-technical environments
You may also be able to contribute:
- Experience in developing and/or applying deep learning methods in battery R&D
- Experience in data analytics with large dataset using scripting language like Python
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon GAM’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.