Hyundai Motor Group is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. The Group’s Urban Air Mobility Division is designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities, allowing passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
We are looking for a strong Senior Aviation Human Factors Design Engineer to play a key role in the development of eVTOL urban air mobility product & services solutions. This position requires a professional experienced in development and testing of models of human perception, cognition, and human/machine interfaces with demonstrated expertise in definition and application of processes and procedures in alignment with guidelines and standards issued by regulatory and standards organizations (e.g. SAE ARP 4033, MIL-STD-1472, MIL-HDBK-759, NASA STD-3000, IEC 62366-1, IEAE SSG-51, etc.). Incumbent will apply human factors principles and methods for user research, design, and evaluation during all phases of the product development process. In particular, you will apply different quantitative evaluation methods for human-machine systems; perform dynamic simulations for human reliability analysis; and generate and validate models of human perception, cognition, learning, communication, and decision making. You will work with other engineering disciplines and will liaise closely with the Strategy Team to ensure superior user experiences derived from quantitatively founded design of physical systems and user interfaces leveraging best human factors engineering and/or human factors psychology practices. Our ideal candidate is a team player, a mentor, and exhibits a can-do attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and determination.
What you can do:
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to the Engineering team and/or cross-disciplinary research & development team working on the development & certification of autonomous, passenger carrying, eVTOL aircraft
- Supports different engineering teams in all Human Factors topics through technical direction, expertise, and problem solving methods
- Definition and documentation of requirements, concept and product designs and development activities including user interface guidelines, user interface reviews, and training on common pilot interfaces
- Support Simplified Vehicle Operations focused cockpit design from initial concept through simulation, integration, verification and certification phases
- Application of different quantitative evaluation methods for human-machine systems; design of dynamic simulations for human reliability analysis; and generation and validation of models of human perception, cognition, learning, communication, and decision making
- Mentor engineers in all aspects of Human Factors Engineering industry best practices, as well as Company core values, to promote development of world-class Human Factors Engineering talent
- Support new business initiatives though trade studies, concept development, proposal responses, and customer presentations.
- Facilitate the advancement of the product development process by providing technical support, developing tools and methods, and facilitating learning and continuity across teams
What you can contribute:
- BS in the areas of Engineering or Human Factors from an accredited university
- Excellent abstraction and communication skills
- Experience in systems aerospace safety and reliability domains and certification
- Very good understanding of one or more human factors standards used in regulated industries (SAE ARP 4033, MIL-STD-1472, MIL-HDBK-759, NASA STD-3000, IEC 62366-1, IEAE SSG-51)
- Experience with integrated cockpits engineering and simulations for commercial vertical lift and general aviation fixed wing aircraft
- Experience with FAA or EASA certification projects
- Advanced working knowledge of aviation industry and avionics
- Critical thinker, adept at relationship building and leading through influence
You may also be able to contribute:
- An advanced degree in the areas of Engineering or Human Factors from an accredited university
- Additional academic training in behavioral sciences, psychology, anthropology, sociology, sociology, or anthropology
- Private, Instrument or Commercial Pilot’s license (fixed- or rotary wing aircraft)
- Experience with electric propulsion air or ground vehicles
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER)
- Experience working with government regulatory agencies
Candidates applying for positions with the UAM division must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer included Disabled and Veteran. VEVRAA Federal contractor.
This position includes access to technology and/or software source code that is subject to U.S. export controls. We will not consider applicants for this position for whom an export license will be required.