Hyundai Motor Group is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. The Group’s Urban Air Mobility Division is designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities, allowing passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
We are looking for a progressive Chief Engineer to join our experienced leadership team and provide technical direction to our engineering department. As Chief Engineer, you will direct the day to day engineering activities associated with UAM product and technology offerings, execute the vision put forth by the CTO, and certify an aircraft that meets the requirements of the business. You will oversee engineering and vehicle design seeing the organizations vision come to life. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to and shape a new business division, but with the stability and infrastructure of Hyundai Motor Group.
This role will report directly to the CTO of the Hyundai Motor Group (HMG) UAM. You will work closely with the engineering team members and key stakeholders within HMG UAM.
What you can do:
- Deliver innovative eVTOL vehicles meeting configuration requirements and in alignment with business goals and go to market in 2028
- Lead system integration overseeing airframe, powertrain, VMS, flight technologies, test & evaluation, and systems engineering functions
- Make key vehicle configuration decisions and coordinate those decisions across the organization and with senior leadership
- Lead engineering team execution through development, flight test and certification with “hands-on” approach and day to day engagement with staff
- Partner with colleagues in R&D establishing technologies to include in future generation vehicles
- In coordination with the CTO, build, scale, and lead an innovative, diverse, world class engineering department, including the technologies, policies and procedures, and people
- Hire and lead a diverse, distributed team of top engineers across industries and backgrounds to revolutionize transportation
- Establish and maintain meaningful relationships across UAM division leadership
- Working collaboratively with the R&D, policy and strategy teams, perform as a subject matter expert on engineering developments needed to reach our vision
- Navigate ambiguity and stay flexible in the exciting and constantly changing environment of our innovative new organization as it grows and its needs / priorities evolve
- Discover, invent, and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage
- Travel as needed
What you can contribute:
- A builder and creative engineer with the experience and excitement to develop, flight test and certify revolutionary eVTOLs
- Proven technical leader with in developing and bringing to market human centered air vehicles, building and leading new engineering teams, aligning with business applications, and executing in ambiguous, innovative technical organizations
- Good human with high integrity practicing confidentiality and inclusivity while setting effective stage-gates to build a world-class, but also high integrity, team
- Passionate expert and lifelong learner on everything eVTOL and transportation
- Expert communicator and relationship builder with key business, regulatory and technical stakeholders
- Agile and quick problem solver who enjoys a challenge and isn’t intimidated by a new problem, fast-paced environment, or ambiguity
- Outcome-oriented "doer" who enjoys rolling up your sleeves and doing what needs to get done
- Champion in value and practice of diversity and inclusion
- Technical degree
You may also be able to contribute:
- Technical degree in Aerospace Engineering Masters or PhD
- Experience in 14 CFR Parts 23, 25, 27 and/or 29 desirable
Candidates applying for positions with the UAM division must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer included Disabled and Veteran. VEVRAA Federal contractor.
This position includes access to technology and/or software source code that is subject to U.S. export controls. We will not consider applicants for this position for whom an export license will be required.