Hyundai Motor Group is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. The Group’s Urban Air Mobility Division is designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities, allowing passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
We are looking for a progressive Head of Airframe/ Assembly and Integration to join our engineering leadership team. As Head of Airframe/ Assembly and Integration, you will lead and manage the development and certification of the airframe of the vehicle. Lead and manage the fabrication of all prototypes and development of manufacturing technology that will enable rate production of aircraft. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to a new business division, but with the stability and infrastructure of Hyundai Motor Group.
This role will report to the CTO of the HMG UAM through the Chief Engineer. You will work closely with the engineering team members and key stakeholders within HMG UAM.
What you can do:
- Lead the airframe, interiors, prototype build, and manufacturing technology development and certification
- Direct the execution of the airframe and interiors design throughout all phases of development, from conceptual design to engineering release and certification
- Ensure the structural integrity of the aircraft through appropriate analysis and test
- Ensure all U/X and interior design requirements are engineered into the aircraft interior and certified
- Direct the digital design space for complete 3D system integration
- Lead the prototypes builds
- Develop appropriate material allowable and manufacturing processes for rate production
- Achieve cost and weight targets for airframe and interiors
- Hire and lead a diverse team of top airframe/ assembly and integration engineers to revolutionize transportation
- Build and maintain a strong working relationship with structural counterparts in the FAA
- Work collaboratively with the R&D, policy and strategy teams on engineering developments needed to reach our vision
- Navigate ambiguity and stay flexible in the exciting and constantly changing environment of our innovative new organization as it grows and its needs / priorities evolve
- Discover, invent, and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage
- Travel as needed
What you can contribute:
- A builder and creative engineer with the experience and excitement to develop, flight test and certify revolutionary eVTOLs
- Exceptional leadership, management skills with direct management experience in airframe/ assembly and integration
- Good human with high integrity practicing confidentiality and inclusivity while setting effective stage-gates to build a world-class, but also high integrity, team
- Passionate expert and lifelong learner on everything eVTOL and airframe
- Exceptional communicator and ability to build relationships with key business, regulatory and technical stakeholders
- Agile and quick problem solver who enjoys a challenge and isn’t intimidated by a new problem, fast-paced environment, or ambiguity
- Outcome-oriented "doer" who enjoys rolling up your sleeves and doing what needs to get done
- Champion in value and practice of diversity and inclusion
- Technical degree
You may also be able to contribute:
- Technical degree, preferably an Engineering Masters or PhD
- Experience in 14 CFR Parts 23, 25, 27 and/or 29 desirable
Candidates applying for positions with the UAM division must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer included Disabled and Veteran. VEVRAA Federal contractor.
This position includes access to technology and/or software source code that is subject to U.S. export controls. We will not consider applicants for this position for whom an export license will be required.