Hyundai Motor Group is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. The Group’s Urban Air Mobility Division is designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities, allowing passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do
Hyundai UAM seeks a seasoned patent attorney to assist with a variety of IP matters. Reporting to the General Counsel, the newly created Senior Counsel position will work closely with the legal, compliance, and operational teams on legal matters, as well as building policies and procedures to ensure the company operates to the highest levels of legal integrity.
Our ideal candidate will be a patent attorney responsible for supporting active research, development and licensing programs in a technology or transportation industry. The position includes a variety of responsibilities such as performing and managing patent prosecution, analyzing third-party patents and standards documents, capturing invention disclosures, and conducting due diligence related to potential acquisitions. As a patent attorney for Hyundai UAM, you will be directly responsible for the prosecution of a worldwide portfolio of patents and patent applications.
This position is based in Washington, D.C.
What you can do:
- Providing IP subject matter expertise to commercial teams.
- Strategically manage the company’s patent portfolio including managing outside counsel regarding patent prosecution, evaluating new invention disclosures for filing, and identifying potential enforcement opportunities.
- Review products that are in development and perform freedom-to-operate analysis, including the development of possible positions for legal opinions.
- Assessing claims involving intellectual property rights by and against 3rd parties.
- Advising commercial teams in the development and implementation of intellectual property protection strategies to support the needs of individual business units.
- Align a growing, worldwide patent portfolio with a dynamic business, including the capture and review of invention disclosures and participation on the patent committee.
- Manage domestic and foreign outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications of particular importance to Hyundai UAM’s business.
- Advise on the acquisition, development, and commercialization of third-party technologies and related intellectual property matters.
- Advise on third-party patent claims against products and technologies.
- Support patent licensing and enforcement activities.
- Provide information and training to internal groups as required regarding patent protection procedures and programs.
- Provide such other patent, licensing and intellectual property support as may be assigned.
What you can contribute:
- Minimum of 8 years of legal practice as in-house counsel or with a law firm.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a patent attorney in a top-tier law firm, preferably some experience working in-house.
- Significant experience drafting and reviewing patent applications, preferably in a technology or transportation industry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to work independently, ability to fashion practical business solutions to complex legal situations, negotiation skills.
- Ability to distill and articulate complex legal concepts into concise and plain English that business partners can both understand and readily act upon.
- Experience drafting, negotiating, and finalizing different types of agreements.
- Ability to negotiate effectively with internal partners and foster collaboration and compromise.
- Developed sense of judgment, risk management skills, and ability to balance legal matters involving multiple stakeholders and various priorities; ability to balance regulatory obligations and reputational risks in an objective, practical way; and demonstrated ability to grasp the "big picture."
- Meticulous attention to detail and form.
- Extremely flexible, highly organized, and able to shift priorities easily.
- Strong understanding and a high degree of personal ethics, integrity, and accountability.
- A team player who enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects.
- Admitted to practice law in the District of Columbia.
- Law degree (J.D.) required, preferably from a top-tier law school.
Candidates applying for positions with the UAM division must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer included Disabled and Veteran. VEVRAA Federal contractor.
This position includes access to technology and/or software source code that is subject to U.S. export controls. We will not consider applicants for this position for whom an export license will be required.