Hyundai Motor Group is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. The Group’s Urban Air Mobility Division is designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities, allowing passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
Hyundai UAM recognizes that data science & analytics will shape the next decade of future mobility.
As a result, our global Commercial Planning & Strategy team is building a Business Analytics team to support commercial strategy and financial planning recommendations.
This team will draw upon simulation, modeling, and the full suite of analytics to address open questions in infrastructure planning, network design, contingency operations, pricing, product feature trade-offs, strategy, cost analysis, and visual graphics and visual data synthesis.
The entire Business Analytics team will work daily with the Strategy and Financial Planning teams, and partner closely with Partnerships and R&D. This team will also collaborate with other Analytics teams and with IT on strategic topics. The Business Analytics team will be embedded into our decision flow, supporting both near-term execution and long-term planning.
This position will lead the Business Analytics team, and report to the Global Head of Commercial Planning & Strategy.
Our ideal candidate has a robust track record leading a team in data science, simulation, and advanced analytics.
What you can do:
- Lead your team to build models that address open business and operational questions, including sensitivity analysis, edge cases, simulated outcomes, and big data assessments
- Manage your team in driving both ad-hoc and long-term research in infrastructure, networks, flight operations, economics, product development, financial costing, and visualization
- Lead your team in developing dynamic “plug-and-play” decision-making tools that allow executives to war-game scenarios by toggling across scenarios
- Translate your team's analysis into insights and crisp recommendations that appropriately reflect the impact on Hyundai UAM’s business
- Synthesize takeaways for day to day problem-solving and review with working collaborators in Strategy, Financial Planning, Partnerships, Policy, and other functions
- Ensure quality control and accuracy over your team's work (high-conviction)
- Define scope and problem-statements across your team's work
- Help support assessment of R&D product feature trade-off’s, in coordination with PMO and Financial Planning stakeholders
What you can contribute:
- Outstanding technical skills (variety of coding languages)
- High speed of output, able to accomplish technical tasks 2-3x faster than a baseline competent person
- Strong intrinsic ability for problem solving in whitespace
- Natural comfort in ambiguity – fluid thinker
- Drive towards solutions, loves solving intractable analytical problems – “a joyful puzzle to be solved, not a pain to be avoided”
- Track record of applying technical skills to a variety of challenging technical projects; projects generate compelling insights adopted by business (“what do we do differently now that we know this?”)
- Background in network analytics, route analytics, contingency or disruption planning (“have you solved these problems before, or is this a new way of thinking for you?” No right answer – we want diversity of background and diversity of approach. Suss out how they think about problems.)
- Able to define a specific problem statement that is actionable for research from only a vague business challenge
- Structure that analytical problem statement into its constituent components
- Determine the infrastructure and coding requirements to address each component
- Strong facility for creating work-plans that address each constituent component
- Distinctive coach who excels at teaching technical skills to their direct reports; true mindset of apprenticeship
- Intuitively adopts “obligation to dissent” from their direct reports; “easy to talk to” rather than hierarchical
- Inspiring leader – people want to work with you (not “for you”). People fight to stay with you and grow with you. You stand up for your people
- Draws energy from discussing issues and problem solving with colleagues in other groups (Strategy, R&D, etc) – not territorial
- Long track record of working with cross-functional teams or task forces – reflective and able to articulate lessons learned / how to do it better next time
- Easy to work with across multiple disciplines and teams; well sought-after as a collaborative leader by teams outside of their group
Candidates applying for positions with the UAM division must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer included Disabled and Veteran. VEVRAA Federal contractor.
This position includes access to technology and/or software source code that is subject to U.S. export controls. We will not consider applicants for this position for whom an export license will be required.