Hyundai Motor Group is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. The Group’s Urban Air Mobility Division is designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities, allowing passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Sr. Rotor Hub and Controls Design Engineer is responsible for the Rotor Hub and Rotating Control System design. The Rotor Hub and Control Design Engineer will report to the Head of Dynamic Systems and may support related special projects outside this scope to meet company objectives as required.
What you can do:
- Responsible for rotor system design activities. This involves creating 3D conceptual layouts of rotor hubs and rotating controls including rough sizing, bearing and damper arrangements, kinematic studies and design considerations pertinent to mass production. Interacting with Dynamicists and Stress and Fatigue Analysts is a vital part of this position.
- Create technical specifications, design components and assemblies in Catia V5, create 2D drawings with appropriate GD&T and release those drawings in the GAM PLM system.
- Responsible for the components/assemblies he/she designs from conceptual design through buildup and test of the prototype air vehicles.
- Support the Dynamic Systems Team in the integration of the rotor system into the air vehicle in the following areas
- Rotating controls and hub to Gearbox integration
- Rotating controls to non-rotating controls integration
- Assembly sequence
- Technical oversite of the suppliers of any components which assemble into the rotor system
- Work with the Assembly and Integration Team to provide prototype parts to support system level testing and engineering builds.
- Work with the Test and Evaluation Team to plan, support, and conduct tests as required.
- Maintain and update Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA) reports for the rotor system and components.
- Create Purchase Requisitions and other engineering administrative tasks as required to support prototype build and testing
What you can contribute:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 5 years’ experience working on helicopter and/or tiltrotor rotor systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in using a 3D Computer Aided Design System (Catia V5, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Auto CAD or equivalent)
- Conceptual design including 3D layouts
- Vehicle and related sub-component product development processes
- Familiarity with rotor system production processes
- Problem solving techniques (ex. Fish bone diagrams, Fault tree analysis, 8D, etc.
- Works well with all levels of management, including executive management
- Must display ability to identify problems, recommend solutions, and negotiate and execute contingency plans.
- Must be able to accept personal responsibility and accountability for major analytical and planning assignments.
- Communicates directly with management and cross-functional leaders as required.
- Strong teamwork skills. Able to develop consensus and move the program forward. Develop win-win situations.
You may also be able to:
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering degree (equivalent or above)
- 10 years’ experience working on rotor systems
- Experience with developing rotor system test plans
- Experience with data collection and analysis
- Prior background with rotor system tests
- Knowledge of a Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software such as 3D Experience
- Prior background knowledge of electric and hybrid powertrain systems
Candidates applying for positions with the UAM division must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc. (HATCI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer included Disabled and Veteran. VEVRAA Federal contractor.
This position includes access to technology and/or software source code that is subject to U.S. export controls. We will not consider applicants for this position for whom an export license will be required.