To connect the world, we must reflect the world. At Virgin Hyperloop, we’re bringing together unique perspectives, empowering our community to celebrate all voices, and creating equal opportunities to build, grow, and thrive.
WHY WE NEED YOU
The Control Systems team is responsible for delivering the vehicle control, from motion control and energy management (electrical, mechanical, thermal). We’re a multidisciplinary, cross-functional team that manage the design from system architecture and controller’s hardware to the embedded software deployed to the vehicle.
Virgin Hyperloop needs a Control Systems Engineer to lead the concept, design, implementation, integration, and verification of the Virgin Hyperloop vehicle motion control functionality. The candidate will support the full Hyperloop product life cycle, developing the motion control strategy (propulsion, braking, levitation, and guidance characteristics) for a unique vehicle concept.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
• Design, implementation, experimentation, and optimization of motor commutation and control algorithms for linear motors on SIL, PIL, HIL, hardware prototypes and final production system
• Modeling of high-power converters, electromagnetic actuators (linear motors, levitation/guidance actuators) in Simulink/Simscape
• Safety and reliability analysis of motor control algorithms
• Design of fault detection, isolation and reconfiguration algorithms for safety critical systems
• Interface with Vehicle Control, Embedded Systems, Electromagnetic Design and Power Electronics teams.
• Produce and/or review technical documents, test procedures, specifications and standards
• Define requirements for motor control firmware
WHAT YOU'VE DONE
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics
• B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical, Aerospace, Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, or related field with a focus on Control Systems or equivalent work experience
• Deep understanding of AC machine working principles
• Deep understanding of modulation techniques (e.g SVM, …)
• Experience with motor modeling and control of motors and power electronics with emphasis on Vector Control techniques
• Expert in Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow
• Experience with configuration management tools (GIT or similar)
• Validating computational models through experimental data analysis and system identification
• Low level implementation of digital controllers
• Familiar with different type of encoders, resolvers
NICE TO HAVE
• Experience with systems and controls documentation (logical flow charts, sequence diagrams, etc.)
• EMI mitigation strategies (shielding, filters, drive cycle shaping)
• Sensorless control techniques
• Completion of at least two commercial vehicle programs (EV or hybrid) or motion control products (in robotics, automation/fabrication, machine tools)
• PhD degree with focus on AC motor control
WHY VIRGIN HYPERLOOP
Now is your chance to leave your mark on the future. If the thought of building a sustainable, completely new form of high-speed transport sounds exciting, come join our team. Virgin Hyperloop is the first company in the world to have put passengers on a Hyperloop system, and now we’re creating an all-electric cargo transport system for the third millennium. Work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment with the best of the best in engineering talent. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do something that’s never been done before, a history-making, global solution that will shape the future of logistics and mobility.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package including health, vision, dental coverage, and 401(k). We also offer a generous daily lunch stipend, a dog-friendly environment, unlimited vacation for exempt employees, and a culture that values diversity and inclusion.