HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020-21, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Head of Partnerships and a Department Lead at HyperionDev you will report to the Chief Commercial Officer. You will lead a team of business developers and account managers to source, attract, implement and develop commercial and strategic relationships with Universities and Tertiary Institutions in accordance with the company’s overarching objectives and strategic goals.
You will be focusing on the delivery of market share growth within the B2B arena and the delivery of the business objectives set for the B2B agenda. These will include growing lead volumes and prospects reach-outs with the view of engaging University and Tertiary Education partners and building on our existing partnerships with Russell Group and other top 20 world universities.
You should be motivated with the knowledge that our courses and education methodology changes the lives of people for the better. You must be ambitious and want to make the most of the opportunity you will have being a core part of a small but fast growing organisation.
You will work within the senior management team to help in building, influencing and managing the culture of the organisation. You will create and drive strategies on everything from talent acquisition to company quarterly planning for your department and the company at large, and be at the helm of one of the world’s fastest growing tech startups.
We are looking for someone with a demonstrable record in acquiring commercial partnerships and in building and leading successful business development teams in a high-growth, high-performance workplace.
- Work closely with senior management in implementing the company-wide strategy on business and commercial partnership
- Lead our commercial partnership strategy, pitching to, negotiating with and closing Universities and Tertiary Education Institutions
- Create a systematic, process driven approach to partner outreach and relationship management
- Identify and source partnership opportunities through inbound lead follow-up and outbound cold calls, emails and client visits
- Collaborate with senior management and the partnership team to align internal goals with new and existing partner relationships
- Negotiate and finalise deals in accordance with company contract guidelines and policies
- Forecast measure and report results of all partnership projects
- Manage the talent planning, acquisition and management of a business development team to ensure a high-performance, people-forward team and culture that is able to scale with the company’s growth
- 10+ years of operational and strategic management experience leading commercial operations, business development and account management
- 10+ years of experience in building and leading successful business development teams in high-growth, high-performance workplaces
- 2+ years of experience selling to Universities, either tech products or OPM solutions
- Extremely strong business acumen
- Highly skilled at strategic analysis, problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Undergraduate degree in business, management, law or a relevant field
- Prior experience in a high-growth, tech-focused environment
- Prior experience in education or education technology
- Prior experience selling OPM models to Universities beyond South Africa, eg LATAM, Australia or European Markets
Equity: As a senior leadership role within the company, you may be eligible for direct ownership in the business through our stock option scheme. The company has been approached for acquisition by a number of billion dollar leaders in the tech education space, is backed by investors from the US, UK and South Africa, and we want you to directly share in the success of the business.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Bootcamp: We offer our employees the opportunity to enrol part-time in our Coding Bootcamps.
Annual leave, life cover and medical benefits: We provide 19 annual leave days as part of our leave policy along with two half-days that can be taken at your discretion. We also provide health insurance/medical aid contribution and group life cover for our team.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best in edtech and developer education. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-forward company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.