HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As part of our People Operations department, you will partner with the business to advise on and manage policies and processes related to performance management, employee engagement and retention, learning and development, change management, and organizational structure and effectiveness.
In this role, you will work closely with the senior management, guiding them on day-to-day as well as more strategic HR-related matters, from employee relations and performance management to organisational structure and workforce planning. You will work on introducing new policies and processes around employee wellness, benefits and engagement and ensure we have a high retention rate of A-players even as we scale fast after our Series A fundraise. You will also work with our PeopleOps Administrator on contract management, employee record-keeping, employee onboarding & offboarding, and office & campus administration.
Being People Forward is one of our core values, and your work will ensure we have a happy, motivated, well supported and productive workplace. Promoting our company values and shaping a positive culture is a vital aspect of this role.
To succeed in this role, you should have solid experience in not just implementing best practices but also innovating and setting up new policies & processes in an agile, fast-paced, high-performance workplace.
- Manage and add to our processes related to performance management and improvement, employee engagement and retention, learning and development, change management, and organizational structure and effectiveness.
- Work closely with management and employees to retain and build strong work relationships and introduce sustainable policies to support employee wellness and morale
- Manage and iterate upon our employee onboarding and offboarding processes, keeping in mind the shift to remote work and our fast-scaling team
- Manage our six-monthly performance appraisal system that drives high performance on a quarterly and annual basis
- Provide inputs on workforce and succession planning
- Advise Line Managers and provide day-to-day guidance on HR policies and procedures
- Track and analyse metrics in your department such as turnover rates, time to onboard/offboard employees, employee wellness & engagement scores via our pulse survey tool Officevibe
- Advise employees on matters such as leave, compensation, benefits, and resolve any issues that may arise
- Resolve complex employee relations issues and address grievances
- Ensure legal compliance with labour regulations including but not limited to LRA, BCEA, OHS, COIDA, POPI and GDPR
- Maintain employee records according to policy and legal requirements, storing confidential documents in both electronic and paper formats
- 5+ years of work experience as an HR Manager or HR Business Partner or HR Generalist
- Thorough knowledge of labour legislation, disciplinary procedures, and HR policies and procedures
- Comprehensive understanding of human resources functions and best practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional ability to resolve conflicts and to manage and influence people
- High proficiency in using Google Workspace and various platforms and tools
- A problem-solving and analytical attitude
- Strong, highly dependable team player
- Interest in edtech and the future of education
- Prior experience in a tech startup or technology environment
- Credentials in counselling, social sciences, applied psychology
- Relevant academic qualifications
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Zando and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-forward company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.