HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020-21, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and GetSmarter. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Product Manager at HyperionDev, you will join the Product team to efficiently scope, spec, test, deliver, and measure our products. You will work closely with team members across multiple teams to optimize and bring to market the products and/or features that make HyperionDev a world leader in the Edtech space. You will report to the Head of Product.
In this role you will take ownership of our HyperionDev bootcamp product, including our bespoke learning management system, used by tens of thousands of students around the world. You will define the vision and execution for this product to drive it to the next level in terms of scale, impact and user experience. You will work on improving the customer journey of our users, relying on data analytics, feature experimentation, and your understanding of building a world-leading edtech product.
You must be able to write clear and precise specs and create wireframes that bring products to life. You must be curious about our products and competitor offerings and continually strive to ensure we are best of breed while delighting our students. You must have a good understanding of software development concepts to communicate effectively with the engineering team and ensure successful delivery.
- Translate product roadmap items and business requirements into detailed requirements for development by technical teams.
- Remain familiar with competitor products and ensure new features are on par or better than industry
- Ensure student feedback (both positive and negative) is considered when defining features
- Be the voice of the customer for the development team throughout the entire development lifecycle.
- Define and maintain product/feature specs with inputs from all stakeholders.
- Ensure requirements are fully understood and that implementation plans match expectations.
- Assess and address risks of all forms.
- Define success criteria for testing and product acceptance.
- Identify blockers that will impact timeline, scope, cost or other project variables and escalate to the appropriate stakeholders.
- Drive delivery of products and features that you have spec’ed.
- 3+ years of experience across technical and product roles
- 2+ years of product management experience.
- Strong organisational skills, with a demonstrated ability to set priorities based on alignment with business goals and strategic direction, define timelines and deliver to commitments.
- Ability to understand technical challenges and make educated trade-offs with your team.
- Ability to work well across functional teams in engineering, marketing, education, support, etc.
- A good understanding of product metrics and KPIs to keep the product development process as data-driven as possible, while still enabling innovation and creative design thinking.
- Experience with scrum and agile methodologies.
- A desire to participate in the world of tech startups.
- Experience working and coordinating effectively in a remote-first environment.
- A relevant undergraduate degree.
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, rapidly scaling startup.
- EdTech background, with developer education preferred.
- A technical background with software engineering experience through university studies or previous work.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-first company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.