HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Chief of Staff at HyperionDev, you will report to the CEO and work closely with the CEO, executive management and Department Leads within our Operations Division. This is a fast-paced role that is critical to the smooth running of the organisation and priorities may shift from week to week. This is a role that will gain exposure to nearly every area of the business and be involved in some of the most critical conversations, decisions and projects that the business undertakes, including discussions with the Board, external investors, existing investors, and management.
Working within our Operations Division, you will work alongside a strong team of Department Leads (Head of Partnerships, Head of Talent, and Head of Finance) and support the executive management in translating the company strategy into actionable goals. Your work will involve setting and executing the strategy on business growth, commercial partnerships, talent management, financial budgeting, investment planning and legal matters. You will influence policies and processes that promote the company vision and culture, and equip the internal systems of a rapidly-growing edtech company to scale.
We’re looking for someone with a demonstrable track record in building and managing successful teams across multiple functions in high-growth, high-performance workplaces, with prior experience in commercial partnerships. To succeed in this role, you should be relentless in your pursuit of outcomes, possess or develop a deep understanding of what drives our business and how it operates, and be able to think about talent acquisition and people management in a strategic & proactive manner.
- This is a broad role with opportunities that may arise across many areas of the business.
- Work closely with the senior management in setting and implementing the company-wide strategy on business & commercial partnerships, fundraising, financial planning, and talent acquisition & management.
- Support our commercial partnerships strategy, working with the Head of Partnerships to pitch, negotiate and close large B2B opportunities.
- Collaborate with the CEO on raising capital, liaising with and pitching to investors, negotiations and due diligence, and reporting to investors.
- Support talent planning, acquisition and management to ensure a high-performance, people-forward team and culture that is able to scale with the company’s growth.
- Ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and protect the company from legal and financial risks.
- Prior experience in a high-growth startup/tech-focused environment
- 5+ years of experience in the operational execution within a fast-growing company. This may be in finance, business development, management consultancy, technology, operations, or a mix of these areas.
- Undergraduate qualification in business, management, law or a relevant field
- Prior experience in raising capital and managing investor relationships
- Prior experience with HR and talent acquisition functions
- Extremely skilled at strategic analysis, problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution
- Extremely strong business and legal acumen
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 3+ years of management consultancy experience in a fast-paced, high standards and high-outcomes environment
- Prior experience as a (preferably at a startup) Chief of Staff, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Business Officer or similar position
- Prior experience as a founder or co-founder of a tech-enabled business
- Prior experience in education or education technology.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.