HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020-21, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Chief Commercial Officer at HyperionDev, you will report to and work closely with the CEO in setting and executing the company-wide strategy on commercial partnerships, talent management, financial & investment planning and legal matters, overseeing each of these departments within our Operations Division and evolving them to be industry-leading.
In this executive-level position, you will support the CEO in driving potential business as well as investment opportunities, negotiating deals and contracts, and raising and deploying capital for growth. You will oversee our financial planning and budgeting, report and present results to our investors, and ensure financial controls to support the optimal deployment of funds. You’ll enable the company to scale a highly motivated and high-performance team, planning all talent acquisition, management and retention around this.
You will be supported by a strong team of Department Leads (Head of Partnerships, Head of Talent, and Head of Finance) that report to you as you establish and ensure adherence to policies and processes that promote the company vision and culture, and equip the internal systems of a rapidly-growing edtech company to scale. You will collaborate with the CEO and senior management in translating the company strategy into actionable goals, and drive our commercial strategy, talent roadmap and financial planning to support that.
We’re looking for someone with a demonstrable track record in acquiring commercial partnerships, and in building and leading successful teams across multiple functions in high-growth, high-performance workplaces. To succeed in this role, you should be relentless in your pursuit of outcomes, possess or develop a deep understanding of what drives our business and how it operates, and be able to think about talent acquisition and people management in a strategic & proactive manner.
- Work closely with the senior management in setting and implementing the company-wide strategy on business & commercial partnerships, fundraising, financial planning, and talent acquisition & management.
- Lead our commercial partnerships strategy, working with the Head of Partnerships to pitch, negotiate and close large B2B opportunities.
- Collaborate with the CEO on raising capital, liaising with and pitching to investors, negotiations and due diligence, and reporting to investors.
- Oversee talent planning, acquisition and management to ensure a high-performance, people-forward team and culture that is able to scale with the company’s growth.
- Manage our financial planning and capital deployment, working with Divisional Leads to ensure that operational growth targets are met within budget.
- Ensure compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and protect the company from legal and financial risks.
- 12+ years of experience leading commercial operations, business development or corporate finance, preferably at a fast-scaling company
- 8+ years of experience in building and leading successful teams across multiple functions in high-growth, high-performance workplaces
- Prior experience in directly managing HR and talent acquisition teams
- Prior experience in raising capital and managing investor relationships
- Extremely strong business and legal acumen
- Extremely skilled at strategic analysis, problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Undergraduate qualification in business, management, law or a relevant field.
- 2+ years of executive-level experience as a Chief Executive Officer, Chief Commercial/Business Officer, Chief Operating Officer or similar position
- Prior experience in a high-growth, tech-focused environment
- Prior experience in education or education technology.
Equity: As a senior leadership role within the company, you may be eligible for direct ownership in the business through our stock option scheme. The company has been approached for acquisition by a number of billion dollar leaders in the tech education space, is backed by investors from the US, UK and South Africa, and we want you to directly share in the success of the business.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as medical insurance/medical aid contribution and group life cover for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.