HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Head of Talent at HyperionDev, you will own and guide our talent acquisition and management strategy.
You will drive talent acquisition both strategically and operationally, understanding our company culture and individual roles to recruit A-players and devising creative, non-traditional methods to attract talent. You will ensure that we’re able to source and hire A-players into our team consistently at pace as we scale our team after a successful Series A fundraise.
You will also manage our PeopleOps team which owns all policies and processes related to performance management, employee engagement & retention, learning & development, change management, and organizational structure & effectiveness.
You will refresh and manage our talent acquisition strategy in terms of making it more proactive, which includes collaborating closely with hiring managers and PeopleOps to identify medium/long-term hiring needs: designing proactive sourcing strategies, building and engaging a talent community to bring down the overall time to hire, making meaningful additions to our Employee Value Proposition, and ensuring a positive candidate experience. You will also build further and manage our in-house Talent team, and liaise with talent partners or recruiters when needed. You will own the responsibility of tracking and reporting on hiring metrics to senior management, and use that to inform further improvements to our hiring process. For certain roles, especially senior/executive roles, you will be responsible for the full recruitment cycle.
People are our most important asset and as part of this role, you will oversee our PeopleOps function that ensures we have a happy, productive and high-performance workplace where the team is enabled to work towards our mission. Promoting our company values and shaping a positive culture will be a vital aspect of your responsibilities. Supported by our People Operations team, this will involve managing activities focused on employee retention, training & development, performance management, employee and industrial relations, change management, and overall talent management.
To succeed in this role, you should be able to think about talent acquisition and people management in a strategic and proactive manner, possess strong analytical and quantitative skills, and be experienced in hiring, retaining, and developing exceptional talent.
- Define and implement a talent acquisition and management strategy that enables the overall company wide strategic objectives for 2021 and beyond.
- Own and refine our recruitment strategy and hiring process, making it more strategic, long-term, and proactive with a focus on identifying, sourcing and engaging with top talent for current and future roles.
- Apply a rigorous quality lens to all hires, ensuring that we hire A-player talent consistently even as we scale fast.
- Refine and implement our PeopleOps processes onboarding, off-boarding, performance & level reviews, compensation reviews, workforce and succession planning, employee growth plans, benefits administration, employee engagement and retention.
- Managing and developing our Talent Acquisition and PeopleOps teams.
- Strategically build our Talent Community to serve as pipelines for current and future needs, engaging with a variety of audiences through several channels in doing so.
- Execute on our hiring process for the roles you handle, following our well-established process but also using your discretion for reshaping the recruitment process for certain roles/departments.
- Track and report on recruitment metrics, and use data to inform improvements in our hiring process.
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws and policies to ensure that our processes evolve appropriately as we scale.
- Own all internal and external communications including company announcements and policy updates.
- Enable our people operations and talent processes to scale by automating workflows and adopting suitable systems and software.
- 8+ years of experience across talent acquisition, talent management, and organizational development with at least 5 years of experience in internal recruitment.
- Demonstrated track record in sourcing, hiring, retaining and developing top talent in high-growth, high-performance workplaces.
- At least 3 years of experience in managing and growing a talent team in a rapidly scaling company.
- Demonstrated track record implementing best practice employee wellness, retention, and satisfaction strategies.
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Highly skilled problem solver, negotiator, and influencer
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior experience in a fast-scaling, startup environment.
- Passionate about the transformative impact of education and technology.
- Tertiary qualification in HR or Organisational Psychology.
- Experience in tech recruitment.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-forward company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.