HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2017 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. In 2020, we closed one of the largest Series A fundraises in South Africa with nearly 1500 investors backing us in the biggest crowdfunding round in history for an Africa-linked startup.
We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, 2U, and Zando. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated, and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time where we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Frontend Developer you will be responsible for initiating, building, and maintaining all web frontends of our bespoke software platforms, including but not limited to:
- Our student portal
- Our mentor portals
- Our placements portal
- Our website and payment gateways
- Our sign up flows
- Our data analysis platforms
- Translate requirements from Product and Marketing into high quality web frontends using pragmatic tooling choices.
- Build high quality web pages and apps using the right mix of tooling where appropriate, e.g. lightweight code on SEO-heavy landing pages, and heavier frameworks on apps where it makes sense.
- Work with graphic designers to improve asset pipeline efficiency.
- Work with marketing to improve SEO, analytics, and conversion rates.
- Work with backend engineers to improve APIs and templates to make your work easier.
- Assist the CTO in understanding and deciding on the correct frontend tooling.
- Minimum 4 years of experience as a frontend developer
- Experience in asset pipelines using Webpack, SASS, NPM, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Strong ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt in line with or ahead of external change
- Experience in template languages, Django, Python, etc.
- Prior tech startup experience in a high-growth and ambitious environment
- Experience in frameworks like React, Vue, Angular, etc.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-forward company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.