HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Head of Education Operations oversees the strategic planning and day to day management of our onsite- and online course offerings.
This is a role that is the beating heart of our education function. You would be responsible for serving thousands of students annually through strategic planning at a management level which will encompass new projects, courses, and methods of teaching and training. Driving the overall organisation, maintenance and improvement of our student learning experience from end-to-end will be key.
The Head of Education Operations will work closely with academic staff to hone the processes that deliver value to our students and will work side-by-side with a Content & Quality team to ensure the highest level of pedagogical support and systems for our students around the world.
To excel in this role, you should be calm under pressure, have great attention to detail, have great organisation & planning skills and must be adaptable in order to function in a fast-paced ever-changing environment.
- Partake in all strategic planning of Education Operations.
- Work with academic staff to ensure all daily functions and support mechanisms are well executed.
- Oversee the talent requirements for education Operations reporting this to the Chief Academic Officer and then supporting the talent acquisitions process
- Analyse and report on all Key Performance Indicators and report on this to the Chief Academic Officer on a bi-weekly basis
- Assist with the creation, reviewing and updating of department documentation and, policies and procedures
- Enforce all academic policies and students code of conduct, and deal with any matters that are handed over by support based on the escalations policy.
- Deal with all education student disciplinary tasks.
- 5+ years of education management experience,
- An interest in designing and developing interactive learning experiences,
- Interest in recent pedagogical advances in computing and online education,
- Interested and experience in the coding education and ed-tech space,
- Fast learner with meticulous attention to detail,
- Experience managing large budgets, hiring and firing, and defining company culture and processes at scale,
- Extreme ambition and a track record of exceeding targets,
- Excellent leadership skills,
- Excellent project management skills,
- A problem-solving and positive attitude,
- Excellent written and oral communication skills,
- Start-up mentality and the desire to see the company succeed,
- An interest in the future of developer education, assessments, tooling and online learning.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field of study,
- 7+ years of project management experience or education management experience, specifically in an education business,
- 5+ years of managing or co-managing academic staff or academic teams in a tertiary education setting,
- Experience in designing and developing interactive learning experiences or setting processes around learning experiences is advantageous.
- A basic understanding of coding and Computer Science.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, & Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solved real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.