HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Head of Learning Design will be involved in seeing through the strategic vision of the Education Division around content development, alignment to accreditation options, implementation of our content evaluation strategy and quality assurance of assessments.
Success in this role will see a candidate that is at the forefront of content research and development to ensure alignment of instructional design initiatives so that the business goals are achieved. The Head of Learning Design should be self motivated and should have excellent analytical skills. There should be strong leadership and organizational skills to drive the Content and Quality department towards reaching goals and objectives set out within our company OKRs.
- Take ownership to oversee the learning design and development of HyperionDev course content.
- Work with Accreditation specialists to drive company strategies aimed at ensuring content alignment to accreditation requirements.
- Assist with the creation, reviewing and updating of department documentation, policies and procedures.
- Analyse and report on all Key Performance Indicators.
- Hire and oversee training of Learning Design and accreditation specialists
- The effective management of content development and evaluation in an efficient and effective manner.
- Plan and design strategies and make effective use of various instructional tools to evaluate instructional design solutions that offer quality to achieve the desired business impact.
- Provide the necessary technical leadership and work with a team of instructional designers to manage the design and development of learning solutions.
- Develop detailed project plans and ensure that the resources are made available within the assigned budget and that the project is completed within the given deadline.
- Identify the root causes of any issues and recommend effective solutions.
- Manage and scale the Content and Quality team
- Improve the quality of bootcamps by ensuring that the information in all tasks is accurate, relevant, understandable and error-free.
- Design the flow of new courses and create all the new material needed, including tutorials, compulsory tasks, example code and any other additional resources.
- Manage the course development calendar and assign instructional designers and course developers to course and project design initiatives.
- Identify instructional approach(es) appropriate for targeted course outcomes and requirements.
- Identify an instructional content mix that is appropriate for pedagogical aims and that fully leverages affordances of the online/blended context.
- Develop the course map or activity path (the course "design theory").
- Deliver the course syllabus, schedule and instructional design "blueprint" for each new course developed.
- Implement changes to existing courses flagged in feedback forms
- Research new and updated concepts regularly to ensure that the content of the bootcamps stay up-to-date.
- 5+ years of Instructional/Learning Design experience.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of instructional design and educational technology best practices in the context of online and/or blended higher education programs.
- 5+ years of experience managing an Instructional/Learning Design team.
- Experience developing online and/or blended programs that creatively leverage new-technologies.
- Self-sufficient professional, able to work under pressure.
- Strong creative and process thinking abilities.
- Ability to solve complex problems under time pressure.
- Excellent organizational and management abilities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, work collaboratively and communicate effectively with stakeholders on a cross-functional team and deliver results under prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to define and manage his/her own work processes towards specified team objectives.
- Ability to evaluate content to determine its appropriateness for target audiences.
- Ability to read, comprehend, analyze and interpret concepts, documents, and data.
- 7+ years of experience working in a position that required writing and editing technical work.
- 5+ years experience in content evaluation.
- Experience in content creation for coding education or any level of coding ability would be an advantage
- Bachelor's degree or related qualification in Learning/Instructional Design
- Demonstrates an interest researching field(s) related to education, curriculum and instruction and/or educational technology.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, & Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.