HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google . We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
In this role, you will directly report to and work closely with the CEO in setting and executing the company-wide People Operations and Talent Management strategy, overseeing the People Operations and Talent Acquisition departments.
You will be supported by a team in ensuring that the internal systems of a high-growth tech startup are well equipped to scale. This is a unique opportunity to join one of the largest education technology startups in EMEA and directly support our management team in key decision-making.
People are our most important asset and in this role, you will ensure that we have a happy, productive and high-performance workplace where the team is enabled to work towards our mission. Promoting our company values and shaping a positive culture will be a vital aspect of your responsibilities. Supported by our People Operations team, this will involve managing activities focused on employee retention, training & development, performance management, employee and industrial relations, change management, and overall talent management.
You will also direct our Talent function in implementing our Employee Value Proposition (EVP) and oversee talent acquisition for a spectrum of roles across departments to attract A-players. Supported by a strong team of Internal Recruiters, you will drive talent acquisition both strategically and operationally, understanding our company culture and individual roles to recruit A-players and devising creative, non-traditional methods to attract talent. You will also be involved in training & development of department leads on our hiring process, scorecard development, skills gap assessment within their teams, workforce planning, and strategizing for attracting the right kind of talent.
You will oversee performance and level reviews for the entire company bi-annually, strategizing to retain and develop exceptional talent. You will make training & development plans for all our teams, and train department leads on matters crucial to the business such as scorecard development, planning for hiring and retention within their teams, and developing quarterly Objectives & Key Results in line with the company strategy.
You will be supported in this role by a legal function to provide guidance on critical policy and processes, and you will be able to draw upon our Finance team resources to support with remuneration setting, tax management and the like.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Defining and implementing a People strategy that enables the overall company wide strategic objectives for 2021 and beyond
- Owning our EVP and talent acquisition strategy for attracting, retaining, and developing exceptional talent
- Refining and implementing our people operations and talent processes including hiring and evaluating A-Players, onboarding, off-boarding, performance & level reviews, compensation reviews, workforce and succession planning, employee growth plans, benefits administration, employee engagement and retention
- Managing and developing a cross-functional human resources team
- Ensuring compliance with relevant laws and policies to ensure that our processes evolve appropriately as we scale
- Owning all internal and external communications including company announcements, policy updates, and driving the quarterly OKR setting
- Designing and executing learning and development initiatives to enable high-performance, high-growth careers for our employees
- Supporting our people operations and talent processes to scale by automating workflows and adopting suitable systems and software
- Building and managing a strong culture based on our four core values
- Overseeing efficient administration of our offices and management of third party services and agreements, including lease agreements.
Your role will be critical in scaling the internal systems of a high-growth tech startup. This is a unique opportunity to join one of the largest and fastest-growing education technology startups, and directly support our management team in key decision-making.
- Completed BCom HR or Organisational Psychology
- At least 10 years experience leading a people function, with an emphasis on talent acquisition & talent management, people operations, organisational development and training, with a demonstrable track record of designing and implementing human resources processes across a business that enables it to grow
- At least 3 years experience in managing and growing a cross-functional human resources team in a rapidly scaling company
- Thorough knowledge of South African labour legislation, compliance requirements, disciplinary procedures, and HR policies and procedures (5+ years)
- Proven track record implementing best practice employee wellness, retention, and satisfaction strategies (3+ years)
- Strong leadership and people management skills
- Near-perfect communication skills
- Highly skilled in problem-solving and negotiations
- A specific interest to work in a high growth tech company, evidenced by prior professional experience or involvement in such a space
- Extreme ambition to grow a company to the category leader in terms of employee wellness, retention, and satisfaction
- Prior experience leading a People function at Executive or Top Management Level
- Prior experience in an EdTech or Tech startup environment
- Experience in implementing and managing the labour relations/labour law functions of a rapidly scaling people operations/human resources team
- Prior experience in education or e-learning
- Passionate about technology
- Educational qualifications or professional experience in law
Equity: As a senior leadership role within the company, you may be eligible for direct ownership in the business through our stock option scheme. The company has been approached for acquisition by a number of billion dollar leaders in the tech education space, is backed by investors from the US, UK and South Africa, and we want you to directly share in the success of the business.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-first company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.