HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco, and PwC, including those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated, and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an experienced and knowledgeable Finance Manager to drive the financial operations of the company.
In this role you will report to the Head of Finance while working closely with the CEO and Head of Finance in financial reporting and analysis of the business, reporting to the Board, preparations of financials for management or audit, budgeting and forecast modelling, supporting compliance, cost analysis and management, tax management, and managing payments to suppliers.
You will also provide the CEO strategic support in fundraising, investor meetings, and investment due diligence.
You will be supported by an external accounting firm/specialist where needed, and a rich Wellness division assisting with payroll and budgeting to ensure that the internal systems of a high-growth tech support scale.
This is a unique opportunity to join one of the largest education technology startups in Africa and directly support our management team is key decision making.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Financial Modelling and Reporting
- Modelling expenses and revenues to help forecast the company P&L and cash-in-bank on a monthly and annual basis.
- Analysing data for insights to provide feedback to team leads and management for optimising costs and planning revenue growth.
- Preparing reports for management and identifying areas of improvement to make financial reporting more useful and actionable for strategy-setting.
- Bookkeeping and accounts preparation
- Creating and updating monthly management reports.
- Interfacing with the company’s external accounting firm on annual accounts.
- Reconciling bank accounts, supplier accounts, and customer accounts.
- Identifying, recommending and implementing process improvements in bookkeeping.
- Reviewing and reconciling balance sheet accounts Invoice management and entering financial transactions into Xero.
- Banking, Payment, and Payroll
- Preparing payroll and monthly payment runs.
- Processing payments to suppliers.
- Liaising with the business bankers for administrative and other requirements.
- Preparing and submitting PAYE, NI and VAT for the UK and SA companies.
- Support in preparing for and meeting statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Strategic financial support
- Support the management in strategic matters including but not limited to inter-company transactions, fundraising, investor presentations, and preparing for due diligence.
- Support the CEO in managing costs and optimising cash flows.
- Make financial presentations to the Board and shareholders.
- A qualified Chartered Accountant qualification with at least 4 years of management accounting experience.
- Experience and understanding of South African VAT, PAYE, UIF, SDL requirements
- Experience and understanding of applicable financial regulations and compliance requirements
- Experience using Xero or an equivalent accounting system
- Experience using SimplePay or an equivalent payroll system
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of planning and organization skills
- Ability to handle sensitive, confidential information
- Experience with UK accounting practices and relevant laws
- Prior experience in a fast-paced tech startup
- Experience in exchange control regulations and the South African Reserve Bank
- Experience in equity and debt fundraising for high-growth businesses
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-first company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.