HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google. We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Head of Technology at HyperionDev, you will lead the technical vision of the company and own all technical decisions relating to the methods of implementing and iterating on our platforms. You will take on complete ownership and project management to drive the technical implementation of cross-functional projects. This is a senior role reporting directly into the CEO and Founder.
You will build and lead an independent and strong technical team who will be tasked with developing two highly impactful and technically innovative platforms that impact the education, learning and employment of thousands of developers weekly from over 40 countries around the world. You will be responsible for hiring and performance management across the technical team, as well as their on-going professional development and training.
As a Department Lead at HyperionDev, you will work within the senior management team to help in building, influencing and managing the culture of the organisation. You will create and drive strategies on everything from talent acquisition to company quarterly planning for your department and the company at large, and be at the helm of one of the world’s fastest growing tech startups.
- Partner closely with the CEO as Cofounding Engineer to influence the technical vision, direction and success of the company;
- Lead a cross-functional, technical team developing two innovative platforms;
- Lead the technical implementation of HyperionDev platforms;
- Provide the developer team with technical advice and support;
- Invest time and mentorship in all technical team members
- Estimate and analyse technical implementations and, time and resources needed to inform company strategy and product decision;
- Research, improve, and introduce new technologies, processes, and tools to improve technical efficiency and reduce technical debt across all products and codebases;
- Lead the hiring, training, retention, and growth of technical roles within the division;
- Provide strategic input into all matters related to the department and the company as a whole.
- AWS (EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda, SQS, SNS, CloudWatch, Route53)
- Completed Matric qualification & relevant tertiary studies
- 5+ years of management experience leading or co-leading a team of software developers
- 5+ years experience owning all technical aspects of a high growth company scaling a B2B or B2C tech product
- 5+ years experience in managing and growing a high-performing technical team in a rapidly scaling company
- 3 years + experience in software development as a technical contributor to a codebase
- 1+ years experience in active participation in training or mentoring junior engineers through writing, teaching authoring training books, or participating in a developer community
- Fast learner, meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent project management skills
- A problem-solving and positive attitude
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Prior tech startup experience in a high-growth and ambitious environment
- An interest in the future of developer education, assessments, tooling and placements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent education/experience
- Entrepreneurial mindset or business owner past or present
- Deep, hands-on expertise and knowledge of a modern web stack - preferably Django - as a key contributor to a product built primarily on a modern web stack
- 10+ years of experience in software development as a technical contributor to a codebase
- 3+ years hands-on experience implementing natural language processing or machine learning techniques
- 2+ years leading a software development team specifically at a fast growing post Series A tech startup
- 2+ years hands-on experience implementing products to support e-learning or assisted code review
- Interest and experience in machine learning and natural language processing
- Interest in recent pedagogical advances in computing and online education
- Interest and experience in the coding education and ed-tech space
Equity: As a senior leadership role within the company, you may be eligible for direct ownership in the business through our stock option scheme. The company has been approached for acquisition by a number of billion-dollar leaders in the tech education space and is backed by investors from the US, UK and South Africa, and we want you to directly share in the success of the business.
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in edtech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, & Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most; you're allowed to brag about it.