HyperionDev is the largest provider of software development education in Southern Africa, and one of the largest globally. Counted among the top education technology startups in EMEA with headquarters in Cape Town and London, we support learners from over 40 countries in changing into fulfilling tech careers. We are dedicated to closing the global tech skills gap and we achieve this by integrating tech education with human mentorship and expert code review, lowering the cost of accessing tech careers.
In 2016 we won first prize in Facebook's Innovation Challenge, with Facebook selecting us as the most socially impactful startup operating in Africa and financially backing us, alongside Google . We were originally launched from the University of Cambridge, and our leadership team consists of world-leading talent from companies such as Google, Amazon, 2U/GetSmarter, Yoco and PwC, and those who have previously built and gone on to sell large businesses. We are looking for team members who are ambitious, motivated and have a track record of over-achieving and exceeding targets.
Join us at a time when we are reinventing tech education and how technology can drive higher quality education at scale for markets that have some of the most underperforming tertiary institutions and schools globally.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Education Operations Manager (EOM) reports into the Head of Education and is responsible for managing all daily operational aspects of the on-site and on-line bootcamps. Although the role is very operational based, the EOM will be required to also support the department on a strategic level when assisting with planning.
As a functional manager, the EOM will functionally manage all on-site (Campus Managers, lecturers and Teaching Assistants) and on-line (mentors and code reviewers) academic staff.
The EOM will also act as an escalation point for any support tickets that relate to Education Operations. There will be close collaboration with the Education Quality Manager to ensure any quality related issues are flagged and addressed.
- Oversee the management of all on-site campus operations.
- Work with campus managers to ensure that all required operational equipment and services are up and running (e.g. internet, televisions or projectors, furniture, etc).
- Oversee the talent requirements for on-site and on-line academic staff, reporting this to the
- Head of Education and then supporting the talent acquisitions process.
- Oversee and manage onsite lecturing schedules and delivery of lectures, which includes dealing with any issues that might arise in these areas.
- Measure and report by updating weekly and monthly KPIs on:
- The number of active students and total number of students by programme type.
- Expected leavers.
- Space available on each campus.
- The Net Promoter Score (NPS) and progression rate per bootcamp.
- Content ratings (promoter, neutral or detractor ratings from students).
- Attendance of onsite students on campus.
- Attendance of online students in lectures.
- The progression rate of students by cohort and programme type.
- The graduation rate of students by cohort and programme type.
- Conduct weekly check-ins with Campus managers and the Admissions team to be clear on
- on-site space availability in order to accurately plan on-site student admissions.
- Oversee delivery and running of online bootcamps, ensuring all academic support mechanisms are well executed.
- Manage the Mentors and other reviewers that conduct reviews of student work by ensuring they achieve required turnaround times and conduct necessary one-on-one check-ins with students.
- Oversee the mentor capacity allocation and routing of students via the API to ensure best balancing.
- Tracking response time and quality metrics per-mentor via Metabase and interfacing with mentors to improve these.
- Facilitating and tracking and growing the pool of DBCA reviewers.
- Assist with the creation, reviewing and updating of department documentation, policies and procedures.
- Enforce all academic policies and students code of conduct, and deal with any matters that are handed over by support based on the escalations policy.
- Deal with complaints as is described in the complaints policy.
- Assist with the scheduling of content reviews and evaluations.
- Bachelor's degree with some focus on business operations/admin, project management or education
- 3+ years of Education Management experience which includes the running of teams or direct reports
- Previous experience in online or in-person education
- 2+ years experience managing people
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
- A problem-solving and positive attitude
- Interested and experience in the coding education and ed-tech space
- Fast learner, meticulous attention to detail
- Start-up mentality and the desire to see the team succeed
- Experience in coding/software development
- Experience and interest in designing and developing interactive learning experiences
- Interest in recent pedagogical advances in computing and online education
Flexible & remote working: We are a remote-friendly organisation and offer flexible work options.
Generous annual leave and medical benefits: We provide up to 20 annual leave days as part of our leave policy, as well as health insurance or medical aid benefits for our staff.
Join the heart of tech in Africa, the US, and Europe: You'll work with the best of the best and rub shoulders with the world leaders in ed tech, developer education, and developer assessments. Join one of the most ambitious and highest performing tech companies in the space, with a founding team that draws their former experience from companies such as Google, Amazon, GetSmarter/2U, and Yoco.
Life-changing work: Solve real problems that make education and tech careers accessible to those who need it most: you're allowed to brag about it.
We're a people-first company with a purpose that underlines everything we do. We're obsessed with the potential in people and challenge them to do their best work. We embrace a culture of growth and learning to deliver on our vision and ours is a relentless quest for improvement.