Who We Are
Hungryroot is the all-in-one recipe and grocery service. We're here to help people feel their best and make grocery shopping, cooking, and enjoying healthy food easier than ever. So, we're creating the first-of-its-kind food experience that puts people (and the planet) first, built for busy lives and individual needs.
We are a distributed team built on top talent from over 10 states across the U.S. While we have an office in NYC, we support employees creating “offices” wherever they are. We believe in fostering team connection and collaboration across all of our “offices” - so don’t expect to be online at 6 am to make a meeting if you’re on the West coast. Expect to attend regular team building events, and to be able to work from the beach every once in a while. Expect to be treated like an owner who cares about our common goal, not someone who has to clock in and out of work.
What You’ll Do
Hungryroot is looking for a Principal Backend Software Engineer to join their growing Engineering Team. This principal software engineer will drive the most critical technical decisions for the backend team, such as picking the right framework for a new API, or designing a service architecture to solve async execution of critical functions. They rely on their own experience while performing additional research as necessary, to arrive at the best solution to hard problems faced by the entire team. They can independently implement complex solutions, but can also assist other engineers to help them overcome difficult issues blocking them. They can constructively debate any issue, persuade others with hard evidence while staying objective and open to changing their mind. In short, they will be the most trusted and dependable technical leaders of our team.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Own critical overarching aspects of engineering infrastructure. This does not necessarily mean owning any particular service, but rather, owning the system by which all the services are strung together, or owning the process by which services are designed, implemented and maintained.
- Drive important technical discussions and help the team arrive at the best possible solution given any constraints we may face. Be a sounding board to other engineers and willing to offer assistance in helping solve very difficult problems.
- Work closely with engineering leads on planning and execution of large, complex projects.
- Contribute directly to important feature development and maintenance.
- Help raise the bar on code quality and enforce engineering discipline through code review feedback, technical presentations and opportunistic refactoring.
- Interview senior engineering candidates and contribute to hiring decisions.
Why We Need You
- 12+ yrs of commercial software development experience.
- 7+ yrs of experience using Python and the wider ecosystem as the primary day-to-day env.
- 7+ yrs of designing and extending RESTful APIs.
- 5+ yrs of experience working with a web framework such as Django (preferred), Flask, Rails.
- 5+ yrs of relational SQL experience.
- 5+ yrs of experience troubleshooting production issues.
- Expert in Python.
- Proficient in Django or similar framework with ORM integration.
- Proficient in SQL and practical knowledge about relational databases
- Implemented non-trivial APIs from scratch or significantly extended existing ones.
- Good understanding of web applications and client-server models..
- Excellent grasp of computer science concepts, common design patterns, good engineering practices, and frequent real world pitfalls.
- Performed technical interviews of many experienced engineers.
Perks & Benefits
- Remote Work Optional: Work from home, work from our NYC office, work from anywhere, you decide!
- Competitive compensation + comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Monthly Hungryroot credit
- Universal paid parental leave
- Commuter benefits
- A working environment filled with passionate, happy, smart people!
Hungryroot is built on the values of being proactive, positive, and transparent in all that we do. Our mission to help make healthy eating easy, accessible, and joyful is better served by a diverse workplace.
We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an inclusive workplace. We have zero-tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.