FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
SENIOR DIRECTOR, FUNDRAISING, DATA, PLANNING, AND INSIGHT
Development and Outreach Department
Multiple Locations Considered
Application Deadline: March 26, 2023
As part of its new fundraising strategy, Human Rights Watch (HRW)’s Development and Outreach Department seeks a Senior Director for Fundraising Data, Planning and Insight to instill and build a data-driven and data-informed culture to make evidence-based decisions, increase efficiencies, improve overall departmental return on investment (ROI), grow new fundraising streams, and achieve long-term profitability.
The Senior Director, Fundraising Data, Planning and Insight will be a member of the Development leadership team and will play a critical and strategic role in forecasting and monitoring income and fundraising investments. The successful candidate will generate, improve and analyze fundraising data, both quantitative and qualitative, from internal and external sources to produce strategic information that supports data-driven and informed decisions, tactics, and strategies that consistently maximize HRW fundraising results. They will ensure that investments are effectively and strategically allocated and translated into high quality income to best serve the organization’s mission.
This full-time position will ideally be based in Europe or in the United States, preferably in one of the cities where HRW has an office and will report to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) based in Geneva (Switzerland), while working with HRW Development colleagues worldwide.
The successful candidate may have the option to work remotely but will be expected to work from the office 2-3 days a week. We aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
Strategy & Planning
1. Develop and present actionable insights, strategic recommendations, and business intelligence from analytical output to support strategic decisions for the Development team and on investments.
2. Interface with the Financial Controller and other relevant stakeholders to steer comprehensive annual budget systems and planning.
3. Work with the Chief Development Officer and the Development Managing Directors to forecast the annual and monthly revenue based on historical data, statistical modelling, and new initiatives; develop multi-year fundraising projections per main channel and audience.
4. Develop the Business Intelligence (BI) structure of the Development department, working closely with CRM (Salesforce) team, and the business intelligence tools to support fundraising decisions; work with the BI vendor to prepare numbers for recurring benchmark studies.
1. Develop strategic analyses of donor portfolios and corresponding recommendations for action.
2. Develop and create a donor profile analysis with external service providers.
3. Create statistical models to forecast trends and share results with relevant stakeholders.
4. Analyze key drivers of donor behaviors and recommend changes to the donor experience/journey.
5. Provide data-driven recommendations on the donor journey through analysis of revenue-generating and retention activities.
Data, Reporting & Analysis
1. In partnership with the Finance Division, build and continuously improve a reporting system (reports and dashboards) to track both income and expenses for the Development department. Illustrate data graphically and translate complex findings into written text, reports and presentations.
2. Make targeted and actual reconciliation of revenue and expenditure during the review cycle, identify causes for deviations, and advise on actions.
3. Collaborate with the CRM (SalesForce) team to ensure the accuracy and ongoing optimization of data processing (including marketing campaign management and marketing automation), and analytical reports to meet high quality standards.
4. Work with the IT team and external vendors to scope and implement new reports and tools as needed.
5. Analyze HRW data and benchmark against the market and/or across the different HRW committees.
6. Conduct modeling with high accuracy and applicability to answer key business needs.
7. Work with the Marketing Managing Director to identify the rental of prospects lists for acquisition, select the best targets for direct marketing campaigns, create segments according to strategically determined criteria, and develop testing plans to yield statistically significant results.
1. Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of seven years of relevant experience working in fundraising data analysis or business data analysis is required. Knowledge and experience in nonprofit fundraising and marketing, preferably in a global INGO context with country-specific fundraising operations, is highly desirable.
Required Technical Experience:
1. Demonstrated proficiency with entire Power BI and stats tools and systems. In depth expertise with fundraising CRM (SalesForce), analytical, and Business Intelligence tools.
2. Demonstrated proficiency with data modelling and segmentation.
3. Demonstrated expertise with reports and dashboards development.
4. Knowledge of direct marketing and statistical principles as well as data management software.
5. Experience in vendor management.
6. Strong background in budget and fundraising projection development, plus expense and ROI measurement.
7. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required. Fluency or proficiency in other languages such as German, French, or Italian is an asset.
2. A strategic thinker with a results-oriented mindset.
3. Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within HRW as well as with external partners.
4. Creativity, innovation, initiative, follow-through, and excellent organizational skills are required.
5. A critical thinker with the confidence to transform data and information into structured systems and reports.
6. A disciplined self-starter who can work independently, but also function as a member of a development team.
7. Ability to multi-task effectively, including having good planning, organizing, and project management skills and ability to work well under pressure.
8. Interest in human rights, social justice and global political issues.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. HRW offers a relocation assistance package and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply. If this position were to be based in the United States, the salary range would be USD 140,000-175,000. Salary ranges outside of the United States vary based on location.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately by March 26, 2023 by visiting our online job portal at careers.hrw.org and attaching a cover letter and a resume or CV. No calls or email inquiries, please. Applications must be complete to receive considerations, and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission or if you require accommodations during the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.