Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
As an engineering organization, we seek to redefine the retirement services space with software that drives toward an effortless, efficient, scalable, and highly reliable cloud based experience.
- Value continuous improvement - we care about documentation, security, durability, not just throwing features over the wall.
- Help each other be better engineers - we leave things better than we found it.
- Aspire to collaborate seamlessly - we ensure our software is improving the customer experience.
As a Staff Software Engineer on our Builder Tools team, you will lead the design and implementation of our cloud infrastructure, CI/CD pipelines, and engineering tools. Your goal will be to increase deployment velocity and confidence, raise our quality bar, and evolve Human Interest’s technical culture to an elite tier. Our bar for software correctness is high, as we are providing a critical financial service in order to solve America’s retirement crisis.
About the Role
This is a highly impactful, hands-on, senior level technical leadership role where a successful candidate will drive the cloud-native technical strategy for our broader engineering organization, spanning 10+ teams. This includes providing technical guidance and mentorship to senior engineers, defining/refining our architecture, updating processes, and establishing best practices across the engineering organization. As a hands-on role, the successful candidate will collaborate with others to design, build, test, and own the infrastructure and processes that support our application engineering teams. Earning customer trust is key to our product’s success and therefore the role includes a focus on facets such as reliability, scalability, observability and maintainability.
What you get to do every day
- Define and evolve our engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Lead the design and implementation of secure, fault-tolerant and robust cloud infrastructure on AWS.
- Lead the evolution of our design and implementation of Continuous Integration and Deployment in a multi-service environment
- Design and implement tools and frameworks to simplify the software development process.
- Define and drive success metrics to measure productivity and system health on facets like performance, availability, cost-effectiveness, developer productivity, and happiness.
- Coach and mentor senior level engineers to raise the bar for innovation, productivity, and technical capability.
- Write exemplary code and high-quality tests that result in performant, reliable, and observable systems.
- Lead and participate in software development life cycle activities including design, implementation, testing, and production releases.
- Identify and advocate for forward-looking technologies, architectures, and designs
What you bring to the role
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in designing, building, and scaling services, especially using cloud infrastructure such as AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- 3+ years experience with Infrastructure-as-code (IaC) technologies such as Terraform, Atlantis, AWS CloudFormation / Cloud Development Kit. Experience employing IaC with Continuous Deployment preferred.
- Delivered and refined CI/CD pipelines such as using CircleCI, Jenkins, GitHub Actions, GitLab CI/CD, etc.
- Automated deployments using container orchestration technologies such as Docker, AWS EC2 Container Service, or Kubernetes.
- Operational Excellence: you raise the bar on the quality of the software and infrastructure that you work on.
- Strong communication skills: you can easily discuss complex technical concepts with both engineers and non-engineers.
- Strong ownership and bias for action: You love to roll up your sleeves. You are proactive, drive projects from start to finish, and lead cross-functional projects, while keeping stakeholders informed.
- Customer Obsessed: Empowering our organization to better serve its customers is always on your mind.
- Leader and Mentor: You are a recognized leader in your areas of responsibility, and enjoy sharing knowledge and mentoring others.
- The ability to start in September 2023.
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - At Human Interest, there are a number of factors that are used to determine the appropriate pay range for each position. We take into account the cost of labor for each position in various markets across the US. The base salary for this position spans from a minimum of $200,000 in our lowest geographic region to a maximum of $260,000 in our highest geographic region. The salary that we offer to a new employee within this range is based on their location within the US, their relevant job-related skills, and experience. At Human Interest, base salary is one component of the overall Total Rewards package. Depending on the position, additional compensation components such as bonus, commission, and equity may be offered. All of our employees are offered a robust suite of physical, financial and mental wellness benefits.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Heath Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures