Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We are looking for an experienced Strategic Communications leader to help us get our story into the public eye, and leverage our position as a leader in our industry to cement our strategic advantages in the marketplace. As Human Interest’s Head of Strategic Communications, you will report directly to our Chief Revenue Officer. Your mission is to design and execute the media strategy that will position Human Interest as a value-add to customers across industries. Your success will be measured primarily through sales performance, brand awareness, and frequency, with the long-term goal of increasing brand visibility.
What you get to do every day
- Design and deliver a communications strategy that includes the management of our Public Relations partner to highlight the amazing inroads that Human Interest is making in the world of retirement savings benefits for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Create an integrated approach for proactive media relations on key business priorities each quarter. Develop and manage relationships with applicable industry/media representatives and proactively outreach to drive coverage
- Leverage your established network of media partners to strategically highlight the varied use cases for our product, and build brand awareness to key strategic sectors for the business
- Advance the strategy, experience, voice, campaigns, and capabilities of our brand to build a comprehensive communications presence in the market
- Craft communications and pitch masterfully written pieces to partners across various mediums (print, radio, digital, social, etc)
- Support the CRO in creating a leadership communications strategy to effectively position the members of the executive team as thought leaders and spokespeople on issues and in venues that are relevant to Human Interest
- Partner closely with peers in organizations to create media around Human Interest through a coordinated approach
- You will begin your journey as a team of one, operating both tactically and strategically as you build the function, eventually building and managing a team
What you bring to the role
- 15+ years of experience building a Communications presence for fast-growing companies (FinTech sector experience highly preferred)
- Strategic leadership of a Communications function for a B2B SaaS company (Fintech experience preferred)
- You have excellent writing and oral communication skills, and the ability to persuade and build consensus with internal and external stakeholders
- You demonstrate a deep understanding of external news and media outlets/channels and how to navigate them
- You have experience performing communication needs assessments (with key stakeholder analysis) to align communications with the needs of the business and define audiences to be addressed
- You have developed communication content tailored to the specific medium and audience requirements (e.g., emails, speeches, scripts, press releases, talking points, websites, briefing packets, preparation materials, backgrounders, and training decks)
- You easily build effective relationships with senior management
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - The on-target earnings (OTE) range target for the role seniority described in this job description is $250,000 - $280,000. Final offer amounts depend on multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise, geographic location, compensation/equity mix, and market data. This position may also be eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards, short-term incentives, or sales compensation.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Heath Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
About Human Interest:
We’re a high-growth, Series D-funded company that’s changing the retirement industry. Named one of America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes, one of the Best Places to Work by Built In, and a Top Company by Y Combinator, We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors, including Blackrock, TPG (The Rise Fund), SoftBank, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures