Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits. Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
Our values (the guiding principles that reflect our view on what’s important and what’s right): In it for customers, autonomous & accountable, outcomes driven, inclusive collaboration, and decisive.
The Engineering Manager will lead a high-performing Experiences team working on initiatives that directly impact our end-users. Working closely with senior engineering leadership, this person will influence the path of the team, and help develop standards and best practices while working on fun and meaningful projects.
This opportunity is ideal for a team lead looking to transition into a manager role or a junior manager looking for an opportunity to grow.
What you get to do every day
- Utilize your leadership experience to assist high performing and engaged teams while also promoting a safe environment for people to experiment, learn, and grow.
- Ensure there is a clear shared vision for engineering within the team, and a roadmap on how to get there.
- Leverage your engineering experience to mentor teams to build quality software.
- Work closely with your cross-functional teams to cultivate a fun, rewarding, agile and results-driven culture.
- Make intelligent trade offs while balancing, communicating, and prioritizing the needs of your team and the business as a whole.
- Establish and embody necessary processes and practices that enable the team to successfully develop, support, and maintain our solutions.
- Attract, recruit, and retain motivated and engaged engineers, building on and complementing the diversity of our teams.
- Be a role-model within Human Interest by supporting and growing the next generation of engineering leaders.
What you bring to the role
- At least 7 years of experience as a software engineer with no more than 2 years of experience of leading a technical team.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written and ability to collaborate cross-functionally.
- Able to foster collaborative, inclusive teams in which people are empowered to do their best work.
- Proactive and empathetic mindset - you love to roll up your sleeves to fix problems for our customers.
- Technical aptitude of software design and agile processes to effectively deliver product.
- Understanding of application security lifecycle and security best practices.
- Demonstrates adaptability, receptivity to learn quickly, and attention to detail.
- Ability to start in October 2022.
Nice to haves:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- At least year of experience as an Engineering Manager at a previous company (FinTech and/or start-up).
- Experience working with microservices or service-oriented architecture.
- Familiarity with Node.js and GraphQL.
Please feel free to apply to this position even if you do not meet 100% of the requirements listed above.
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Compensation - The salary range for this role is between $180,000 - $210,000. This information reflects a base salary range for this position based on current market data, and may vary by location. Exact compensation will be determined by the candidates' skills, experience, and other relevant factors. This position may also be eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards, short-term incentives, or sales compensation.
- A great 401(k) plan: our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation.
- Employees also receive 100% paid employee health, vision, and dental premiums; dependent premiums are covered at 50%.
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies.
- Monthly work from home stipend; annual wellness stipend.
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech.
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company-wide offsites.
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote.
About Human Interest:
We’re a high-growth, Series D-funded company that’s changing the retirement industry. Named one of America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes, one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times, and a Top Company by Y Combinator, we’ve raised $337M and are backed by leading investors, including TPG (The Rise Fund), SoftBank, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
Inclusive collaboration makes us a better business
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures