Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Social Security, our nation’s retirement safety net, is projected to be insolvent as soon as 2035, making employer-sponsored 401(k) plans the primary retirement savings vehicle in the U.S. Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
Our values are the guiding principles we use to build solutions for plan administrators and participants. They reflect our point of view on what’s important and what’s right:
In it for customers, autonomous & accountable, outcomes driven, inclusive collaboration, and decisive.
The Corporate Controller is a proven professional that is responsible for the core operational aspects of accounting, reporting and controls. This includes developing talent, balancing capabilities, costs and service levels and working effectively cross-functionally in a rapidly changing and growing environment.
The Corporate Controller collaborates cross functionally with the broader organization and is one of the leaders of the Company’s finance team which includes responsibility for the reporting cycle, close, regulatory compliance, financial reporting and analysis, and special initiative management. This position will identify & develop leading practices guidance, will drive consistency and efficiencies across the team. Success in this role is dependent on leadership, organization/people development, process improvement, management of outside relationships, strategic execution, ability to deal with a rapidly changing business environment and communication.
This position reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
What you get to do every day
- Lead and develop the Controllership function for the company to be public ready by late 2023
- Improve the financial close processes for a fast-paced, rapidly growing SaaS company
- Establish and maintain accounting policies, leading practices and procedures to ensure US GAAP compliance
- Manage the general ledger, technical accounting & policy, consolidations and reporting
- Lead a team of 5 direct accounting headcount (all in the US) by year end and grow and develop the future team
- Oversee monthly/quarterly/annual close efforts
- Lead process improvements for the company’s financial operations to drive efficiency and controls.
- Oversee all accounting integration & valuation for mergers & acquisitions
- Manage a program for internal controls to ensure SOX compliance with all processes within the controllership organization
- Work closely with financial planning & analysis team on reporting efforts and monthly accruals related to budgeting and forecasting
- Management of the company capitalization table and equity accounting and coordination with vendor stock administration partner Carta
- Management of the company’s exposures and processing of sales tax requirements
- Oversee audit and tax return processes and lead the management and relationships with independent auditors
- Drive the quarterly reporting cycle to the Audit & Risk Committee of the Board (to be formed)
What you bring to the role
- Bachelor’s degree, with emphasis in accounting or finance
- CPA required
- At least 15 years work experience in the accounting area; 5+ in senior roles
- 4+ years public accounting
- Previous experience in a public company setting and preference for experience having taken a company public
- Corporate Controller or Assistant Controller level experience
- Experience in a fast-paced, rapidly growing environment. Must have ability to roll up his/her sleeves and still enjoy the work
- Demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Unquestionable integrity and discretion
Nice to have:
- Proven success in developing and leading a team of people using a collaborative management style
- Comprehensive understanding of financial accounting and reporting under US GAAP and SEC requirements
- Deep technical accounting knowledge
- Comprehensive understanding and prior experience with design and implementation of accounting policies and procedures
- Merger & acquisition and integration accounting experience
- Excellent planning, analysis and execution skills
- Adept at prioritization, responsiveness and understanding a sense of urgency. Ability to balance multiple projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact & engage with all levels of the organization
- SaaS company background is a plus
Please feel free to apply to this position even if you do not meet 100% of the requirements listed above.
About Human Interest:
We’re a high-growth, Series D-funded company that’s changing the retirement industry. Human Interest is seeking to build a best-in-class product to help small businesses give their employees a path to financial independence. Named one of America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes, one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times, and a 2021 Top Company by Y Combinator, we’re looking for incredible talent to help us achieve our mission: ensuring people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits. Human Interest has raised $305M and is backed by leading investors that include TPG (The Rise Fund), SoftBank, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
Inclusive collaboration makes us a better business
We deliberately build processes to create a workplace where all are welcome and accepted. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We comply with CCPA guidelines.