Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Social security, our nation’s retirement safety net, is projected to be insolvent as soon as 2035, making employer-sponsored 401(k) plans the primary retirement savings vehicle in the U.S. Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
Our values are the guiding principles we use to build solutions for plan administrators and participants. They reflect our point of view on what’s important and what’s right: In it for customers, autonomous & accountable, outcomes driven, inclusive collaboration, and decisive.
Human Interest is seeking a highly motivated Director of Compliance to join its legal and compliance team! This role will report directly to the Head of Legal & Chief Compliance Officer.
What you get to do everyday:
- As the company’s ERISA expert, you will develop and implement a compliance program and provide guidance and solutions to internal stakeholders and plan sponsors for complex issues relating to qualified defined contribution plans
- Proactively identify risk areas and gaps, and develop solutions and policies to ensure appropriate mitigation
- Work cross-functionally with all levels of the organization to research and respond to requests for resolution of complex compliance issues and problems presented by internal employees and plan sponsors
- Conduct regular reviews of select departmental functions to ensure compliance with existing policies and procedures
- Independently research, investigate and at times work with outside counsel to continuously develop and implement industry best practices for the company and plan sponsors
- Proactively monitor, review and interpret new regulations and/or regulatory changes
- Communicate regulatory changes via well-written reports, news briefs, and webinars or training sessions
- Collaborate with CCO to ensure changes in regulations are successfully implemented operationally and document-wise across the company as required
- Maintain compliance of the company's retirement plan governing plan documents by executing timely amendments as required by new or changing regulations
- Manage highly escalated issues and successfully manage and execute plan document restatements and VCP/VFCP submissions
- Develop, write, and review internal policies, procedures, documents and forms
- Continually improving retirement plan knowledge by attending relevant webinars, conferences, and reviewing various retirement plan publications
- Serve as a resource for developing internal company training
What you bring to the role:
- Strong leadership skills with the ability influence, motivate, develop, and lead others across a fast growing organization
- Exceptional knowledge of ERISA and defined contributions plan rules and regulations with focus on 401(k) plans
- Expertise and extensive knowledge of RIA regulations and operations, strong familiarity with the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and Investment Company Act of 1940
- Experience developing, implementing and maintaining written policies and procedures governing RIA and retirement plan compliance activities
- Ability to reach sound judgments and act quickly under tight deadlines while balancing competing priorities
- Able to clearly and effectively communicate complex regulatory concepts to non-experts in writing and verbally
- Ability to interpret basic plan documents, plan adoption agreements and amendments
- Ability to work and react quickly in a fast-paced, agile environment
- Proven communication skills (verbal, written, interpersonal) and a desire to interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to interpret rules and analyze complex issues
- Creative and strategic approach to problem solving and change management
- 10+ years of leadership and people management experience
- 10+ years of advanced well-rounded retirement plan industry experience including in-depth knowledge of RIA, ERISA, and IRA rules applicable to 401k recordkeepers and investment advisors
- Prior experience developing, implementing, and maintaining an ERISA and SEC compliance program
- 4 year college degree or equivalent combination of experience and education
- CPC or QPA ASPPA credential or equivalent experience or credential
About Human Interest:
We are a high-growth, Series C-funded company on a mission to change the retirement industry. We’re building a best-in-class product to make it possible for smaller businesses to give their employees a path to financial independence. Named one of America’s Best Startups by Forbes and one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times, we’re continuing to grow and looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission: ensuring that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Inclusive collaboration makes us a better business
We deliberately build processes to create a workplace where all are welcome and accepted. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.