Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Social security, our nation’s retirement safety net, is projected to be insolvent as soon as 2035, making employer-sponsored 401(k) plans the primary retirement savings vehicle in the U.S. Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
Our values are the guiding principles we use to build solutions for plan administrators and participants. They reflect our point of view on what’s important and what’s right: In it for customers, autonomous & accountable, outcomes driven, inclusive collaboration, and decisive.
Human Interest is seeking a highly motivated Legal Operations Manager to join its legal and compliance team!
What you get to do everyday:
- Help design, manage and build the strategy for the Legal Operations team, including annual goals, objectives, key results, and other metrics
- Implement and manage Legal team metrics, benchmarking, and reporting
- Manage Legal vendors (outside counsel and vendors) to optimize efficiency and reduce spend, while ensuring quality in services
- Develop, implement, and manage vendor cost reduction strategies, including fee arrangement negotiations, onboarding and offboarding, payment processes, and governance of billing guidelines
- Work cross functionally with the Customer Success Operations and Compliance teams on escalated issues, including those involving regulatory authorities
- Partner with Finance to monitor budget constraints and actual performance against budgets and forecasts, identify spending trends, potential cost savings, and efficiency opportunities
- Develop a technology roadmap and manage Legal technology initiatives such as contracts management system, e-billing, e-signature, compliance management, and other internal resources
- Liaise with the IT team on identifying, implementing, integrating, and optimizing applications and tools, and building internal tools and automation capabilities
- Develop and support programs that promote collaboration and knowledge sharing across the team (e.g. centralized resources, processes, memos, policies, and other learnings)
- Develop resources and tools for the business to self-serve legal issues, and training resources for the Legal team to use with business partners
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional stakeholders including Finance, Engineering, Infosec, People, Sales, and other operational teams
- Assist Legal management team in prioritizing and allocating resources appropriately
- Drive other operational efficiencies to increase productivity and contain costs
What you bring to the role:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in Legal Operations
- Ability to think strategically while managing the details, and to make clear recommendations
- Excellent writing skills - need to be able to break down complex processes into digestible policies and procedures that can be executed on by our operational teams
- Proven negotiation skills, and comfortable working with all levels of an organization
- Strong organizational, project management, and execution skills
- Proactive approach to recognizing needs, anticipating issues, and solving problems
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple time-sensitive tasks, and manage competing priorities effectively and independently, including driving results and delivering to deadlines and budgets
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a growing legal team and cross-functionally
- Strong interpersonal skills, team-oriented attitude, and superior attention to detail
- Technology-savvy skills, and are proficient in all Google applications; an understanding of law firm billing, pricing and compensation practices is a plus
- Prior experience with retirement products and/or investment advisors is a plus
About Human Interest:
We are a high-growth, Series C-funded company on a mission to change the retirement industry. We’re building a best-in-class product to make it possible for smaller businesses to give their employees a path to financial independence. Named one of America’s Best Startups by Forbes and one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times, we’re continuing to grow and looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission: ensuring that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Inclusive collaboration makes us a better business
We deliberately build processes to create a workplace where all are welcome and accepted. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.