Who are we?
Human Interest is a high-growth, Series C-funded company on a mission to change the retirement industry. We’re building a best-in-class product to make it possible for smaller businesses to give their employees a path to financial independence.
Named one of America’s Best Startups by Forbes and one of the Best Places to Work by the San Francisco Business Times, we’re continuing to grow and looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission: ensuring that people in all lines of work have access to a retirement benefit.
Current 401(k) solutions for small businesses are built on legacy software, involve physical paper forms, and are sold with kickbacks to financial advisors whose interests are misaligned with the financial well-being of their clients. We've built an automated, paperless 401(k) that makes it possible for small businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees, and we’re proud to be working with 2,000+ businesses across the country!
Why Engineering @ Human Interest?
As an engineer on the team, you will get to help build our financial engine. You will collaborate with domain experts to design, build, test, and own systems and processes for servicing 401(k) plans and making our customers happy. As reliability is key to earning our customers’ trust, you will build robust systems that are observable, maintainable, and scalable.
What You Get To Do Every Day:
- Build and maintain business-critical software to process and record customers' retirement savings.
- Improve complex processes and systems to make them more robust and require less human intervention.
- Collaborate with various departments (engineers, operations and product) to share knowledge and build expertise.
- Develop ownership over the internal application domains in our system and make informed engineering tradeoffs.
- Advocate for and delight internal operation users.
- Work with a wide range of technologies - you can encounter ReTool, Node, TypeScript, React, PostgreSQL, and various legacy systems (but don’t need to have prior experience with them).
What You Bring To The Role:
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience building and maintaining web applications.
- Experience building internal applications to integrate with backend systems using one or more technologies (e.g. Node, TypeScript, React).
- Ability to add backend API endpoints and build SQL queries for use in the frontend.
- Strong desire to learn, think creatively, and share knowledge with others.
- Ability to write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- Self starter, proactive and empathetic mindset - you love to roll up your sleeves to fix problems for our internal customers.
Diversity and inclusion help us do better as a business, and we deliberately build processes to create a workplace where all are welcome and accepted. We're proactive and purposeful in prioritizing diversity and inclusion internally not only because it's the right thing to do, but also because we believe it's the only way to effectively create products and services that can be truly helpful to all people.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.