Human Interest is a high growth venture-backed company that offers an easy and affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We're a Series B company disrupting a massive but broken industry through empowering small to mid sized businesses to safeguard the financial futures of their employees -- something that only 14% are able to do today. We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity for a secure financial future. We want idealistic and talented people to join our team of doers and builders.
Current 401(k) solutions for small businesses are built on legacy software, involve physical paper forms, and are sold with kickbacks to financial advisors whose interests are misaligned with the financial well-being of their clients. We've built an automated, paperless 401(k) that makes it possible for small businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees, and we’re proud to be working with 1,500 businesses across the country!
Director of Engineering
As Director of Engineering, you’ll be directly responsible for the performance and growth of the product engineering team at Human Interest. Your experience includes not only managing a team of engineers, but experience managing engineering managers and driving engineering culture at the organization. You are an advocate for effective processes and have a passion for building an effective, results driven organization.
What you’ll do:
- Perform all aspects of team management to attract, engage, retain and nurture teams of exceptional engineers. (e.g. recruitment, coaching, performance feedback, staff training and career development).
- Establish and maintain good working relationships both within the engineering team and the wider organization.
- Act as an internal ambassador for the engineering team to other business units, communicating the opportunities and constraints technology offers our company.
- Have a clear strategy and approach for building diverse teams.
- Lead agile software processes for the engineering team to solve business-critical integration problems with creative technical solutions.
- Give the team the tools, confidence and motivation to make independent decisions and develop simple solutions to complex problems.
- Optimize and evolve engineering best practices and processes through a continuous improvement culture.
- Work closely with team members to ensure a high standard of quality and testing throughout the development cycle.
- Partner with product and business development to play an active part in shaping engineering strategy and roadmap.
- Map out team growth plans - the who, the why, the what and the when.
- Find and implement ways to improve cost-efficiency and positively influence budget.
What You Bring To The Role:
- 5+ years of experience in management.
- Previously managed a team of 5-10+ direct reports with responsibility for larger teams.
- Demonstrated leadership skills across multi-cultural organizations and have empathy and drive for building diverse and inclusive teams.
- The humility necessary to foster a continuous improvement culture, including the ability to improve yourself.
- Handled sensitive people matters with discretion and integrity.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- A passion for software development and building great developer experiences.
- Proven ability to rapidly hire, retain, and grow A+ players, and scale engineering organizations without sacrificing quality.
- A love of continuous delivery, experimentation and modern automated testing approaches including testing in production.
Highly Regarded Skills:
- Experience developing distributed SaaS applications.
- Working knowledge of multiple programming languages and paradigms e.g. functional, object-oriented, prototypal etc.
- Public speaking skills and experience.
- Contribution to one or more open source projects.
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.