Who are we?
Human Interest is a high growth venture-backed company that offers an easy and affordable 401(k) retirement plan for the modern workforce. We're a Series B company disrupting a massive but broken industry through empowering small to mid sized businesses to safeguard the financial futures of their employees -- something that only 14% are able to do today. We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity for a secure financial future. We want idealistic and talented people to join our team of doers and builders.
Current 401(k) solutions for small businesses are built on legacy software, involve physical paper forms, and are sold with kickbacks to financial advisors whose interests are misaligned with the financial well-being of their clients. We've built an automated, paperless 401(k) that makes it possible for small businesses to offer a 401(k) benefit to their employees, and we’re proud to be working with 1,500 businesses across the country!
Why Legal @ Human Interest?
We’re looking to add our first in-house legal professional to the Human Interest team. This is a unique opportunity to work across the entire business and provide business-oriented legal guidance on a wide variety of issues that will have meaningful strategic and operational impact on the company. The ideal candidate will be a hands-on business partner and thought leader who enjoys operating in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. You will have the opportunity to build and shape the in-house legal and compliance function over time as we continue to scale our business. This role will report to the VP of Finance.
What You Get To Do Every Day:
- Act as a thought partner and legal advisor to the leadership team to support key business decisions while mitigating risk
- Manage all of our outside counsel relationships, including corporate, ERISA, and SEC counsel
- Draft, maintain, and update our standard form agreements with customers, partners, vendors, employees, and contractors
- Work closely with functional leaders to efficiently review, revise, negotiate, and execute various commercial contracts
- Design, implement, and oversee processes and technologies for scalable legal and compliance operations
- Ensure continued compliance with all applicable laws and regulations; institute additional compliance policies as our business continues to scale and evolve; lead all required compliance audits
- Provide legal guidance on employment, intellectual property, data security and privacy, and other corporate issues as needed
- Manage the cap table and option plan documents; prepare resolutions for Board review and approval
- Address other ad-hoc or specialized legal issues in collaboration with outside counsel
What You Bring To The Role:
- 6-10+ years of experience at a top law firm and in-house at a financial services and/or high-growth technology company
- Self-starter who understands executing with urgency and enjoys working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment; accuracy and attention to detail are essential requirements for this role
- High EQ and collaboration skills, with the ability to listen and work in concert with counter parties to find mutually agreeable solutions in negotiations
- Comfort with business metrics and ability to break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks; ability to explain legal issues to business and technology focused partners
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and take on tasks both big and small
- Strong sense of ownership, desire to make a cross-functional impact, eagerness to learn, and customer orientation
- Experience in highly regulated industries; familiarity with ERISA and SEC compliance would be a nice-to-have
- J.D. from a top-tier, accredited institution and State Bar certification
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Google Docs
Human Interest is an Equal Opportunity Employer.