Hugo is seeking an experienced, highly-analytical Director to build and oversee the company’s cross-border finance and accounting operations. In this role your primary objective will be to ensure that the company is developing a scalable approach to budgeting, long-term planning, financial operations, compliance, and risk.
Who you’ll work with:
The successful candidate will join Hugo’s operations team in Lagos, Nigeria, and will report to the Chief Operating Officer. Remote candidates are encouraged to apply.
Hire and manage a team to execute the following:
- Establish financial operations and reporting units across Nigeria, Kenya, and Senegal.
- Establish and oversee a company-wide financial planning and budgeting process.
- Design and oversee company-wide financial and statutory reporting.
- Build financial reporting systems compliant with accounting and regulatory standards.
- Prepare financial statements and reports to be shared externally (banks, tax authorities, partners, auditors, etc.).
- Design and oversee company-wide operational and management reporting.
- Build Hugo’s financial analytics capabilities (reports, metrics, dashboards, scorecards) to aid executive decision-making.
- Prepare monthly executive and board package.
- Oversee day-to-day operational financial activities.
- Oversee intragroup and intra-country commercial relationships and transacting.
- Coordinate and liaise with financial and statutory consulting partners across markets.
- Liaise with other departments (IT, HR, Operations, etc.) to ensure alignment with best practices and company’s financial objectives.
- Drive continuous improvement in the company’s financial efficiency.
- Support ad hoc fundraising.
- Highly organized and well-structured: both in the way you think and communicate.
- A big picture guy/gal who’s not afraid to dig into the weeds.
- A perfectionist at heart; you set a high bar for your work and lead others to do the same.
- Numbers are your thing but “user-experience” is a thing too.
- 14+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles, preferably in a fast-paced environment.
- A combination of big-four experience and operational financial experience (post-big-four), preferred, but significant experience in either will be considered.
- Proven experience working with US / EU clients on financial consulting or audit deliverables in, at least, the capacity of a manager.
- Advanced proficiency in financial modeling and analysis.
- Advanced proficiency across a range of accounting software + ERP solutions (incl. QuickBooks).
- Proven experience in building teams and processes from scratch.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with the ability to establish relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Deep understanding of West African business context (accounting standards, general legal and tax compliance, best business practices, local business culture/customs).
- CPA or ACCA required. MBA/MSc a plus.
What We Offer
- A competitive total compensation package.
- A business model that makes sense for Africa.
- Opportunity to apply corporate finance experience in a fast-growing entrepreneurial environment.
- A high-calibre, fun team committed to the continent.
- Opportunity to have a large-scale impact.