We believe each moment in sports can change the plan, change the game and change lives. That’s why our mission is to build the world’s most powerful network of sports video and data to empower teams to make every moment count.
How? By hiring people around the world who want to help us support coaches, players, analysts, recruiters, teams, clubs and fans. Hudl customers use our products to capture video, analyze data, share highlights and a lot more. They stay ahead of the game with the latest technology and we help them achieve their goals.
Want to join us?
We're looking for a Design Director of our Hardware Business Unit to lead industrial and product design and the creation of Hudl’s most innovative camera products, packaging, mobile app and associated experiences. You’ll lead Hardware’s 6+ person industrial design, product and content design team toward critical success, maintenance and launch of new products, as they work cross-functionally and with customers.
As a Design Director for Hardware, you’ll be hands-on with your team, coaching and mentoring them through the rigor and process that spans software/mobile app experiences to industrial design in hardware delivery. You’ll look holistically at our products and experiences as they affect our customers in the ecosystem in and around hardware, and can look ahead with your leadership counterparts to paint a clear picture of our vision.
As a qualified candidate, you have a strong background in industrial design, user experience and visual design and an online portfolio you can share with us. We’re looking for the right person with deep expertise, not the right sports person—show us what you’ve got. You’ll balance a rigorous user-centric perspective with the ability to make bold decisions and move our industrial design and associated online experiences forward. You will foster cross-functional and cross-discipline collaboration. You are a business-oriented design leader. You will work to integrate user insights into the physical and digital product experience strategy and design. You will always advocate for tactility, user experience, accessibility, customer needs and design excellence.
This role reports to the Vice President of Design and sits on the Hardware Leadership Team.
Hudl has a flexible location policy. We would love this Hudlie to be in Boston, MA, Lincoln, NE or Omaha, NE where we have Hudl Offices but this position is also offered remotely within the U.S. #LI-Remote
- Invest in the design chapter and our collective success. You’ll work openly with the design team to shape our culture, processes and tools, and recruit and hire outstanding design talent and facilitate onboarding of those new awesome designers. You’ll challenge your top performers and decisively support your lowest–you coach with great care and ensure their overall happiness. You’ll look for trends across your reports and others’ reports to find ways to fix root problems instead of treating symptoms one-by-one. You’ll find the ways to scale your influence and impact, reaching the design chapter across the organization to build our understanding of industrial design and hardware’s connected software and mobile app experiences.
- Be open, transparent and communicative. You know how to work in and lead a design team through process, building shared understanding and establishing a vision. You excel in giving and receiving feedback and critique. You can confidently articulate your design strategy and solutions to stakeholders and cross-functional partners. You can stay laser-focused on the experience and you have a willingness to question the status quo. You know how and when to tactfully say, “no.” You can back your designs, perspectives and decisions in rationale, ideation, customer understanding and business needs.
- Drive toward outcomes at scale. You closely scrutinize processes with the goal of improving continually over time to better support customers–understanding that technical, business and design constraints factor into product and hardware decisions. You’re able to balance being a hands-on coach and a collaborative leader, thinking holistically about the future of hardware and deeply about individual features, workflows and experiences. You know how to emphasize the business value of design and can lead the team through research, testing and success measurement processes using appropriate qualitative and quantitative methods.
- A passionate, experienced practitioner. You have 8+ years of experience working in digital products and industrial design, and you know how to create new hardware products and take them to market with their associated experiences. You have 4+ years managing individuals and leading design reviews, critiques and cross-squad/discipline understanding and adherence to cohesion, coherence and unification of physical products and online experiences. You have a strong background in hardware design ecosystems, customer connections and research, and process rigor, creation and coaching.
- Nimble. You have strong organizational skills. You are comfortable with ambiguity and can create both tactical and big-picture views and strategies that align teams to get there. You understand the complex and connected ecosystems of software and industrial design and weave together a clear experience path forward. You’re able to choose the best medium and fidelity to convey your ideas at each stage of a project and you’re not afraid to ship small, quick experiments to validate or invalidate your assumptions and opinions.
- A supporting leader who lifts people up. You are someone who embraces and encourages diversity and varied perspectives, and you have a consistent track record of coaching and mentoring talented designers to achieve their best performance. You know how to scale your influence and connect with distributed, global design teams. You’re as proud of your organizational tools as you are your best pieces of design work. You focus on retention, growth, connection and camaraderie. You know how to bridge the gap between software and industrial design, and foster a collaborative environment between the two.
- A storyteller and dot connector. You can demonstrate an understanding of customer and squad needs and set an example of delivering impactful experiences for customers. You communicate in a collaborative and confident manner that builds trust with your teams. You are an expert communicator and collaborator capable of working closely and partnering with product managers, engineers and designers to drive vision, alignment and strategy forward.
- Treat you like an adult. We’re all about a healthy work-life balance. We’ll give you unlimited vacation time and have company-wide timeout days (no meetings allowed).
- Provide career growth. We’re lifelong learners who encourage professional development. We’ll give you tons of resources and opportunities to keep growing.
- Supply you with tools for success. We've invested in our office spaces, designing them with our employees in mind. You’ll have the enriching, flexible environment and powerful hardware you need to do your job well.
- Celebrate work at Hudl retreats. We like to gather our Hudlies from around the world to showcase achievements and strategize for the future.
- Support your mental and physical health. We care about our employees’ wellbeing. Our Employee Assistance Program, Employee Resource Groups and fitness partner Peerfit have you covered.
- Cover your medical insurance. We have multiple plans to pick from to ensure you’ll have the coverage you (and your dependents) want.
- Contribute to your 401(K). Yep, that’s free money. We’ll match up to 4% of your own contribution.
Diversity at Hudl
Hudl is an equal opportunity employer. We understand the power of a diverse team, celebrate differences and promote inclusive and accessible environments.
To promote Hudlies being their authentic selves and give everyone opportunities for allyship, we offer employee resource groups. These employee-led groups are drawn together by common affinities, passions and life experiences:
- Her Hudl
- Hudl Black
- Mental Health Champions
- Community Champions
We recognize there’s ongoing work to be done and track our efforts and commitments in annual diversity reports.