We believe each moment in sports can change the plan, change the game and change lives. That’s why our mission is to build the world’s most powerful network of sports video and data to empower teams to make every moment count.
How? By hiring people around the world who want to help us support coaches, players, analysts, recruiters, teams, clubs and fans. Hudl customers use our products to capture video, analyze data, share highlights and a lot more. They stay ahead of the game with the latest technology and we help them achieve their goals.
Want to join us?
We're looking for a Principal Designer to lead the charge for our Hudl design system, Uniform, as a hands-on contributor, leader and visionary on the governing team of how our design system is maintained, managed and scaled.
As a Principal Designer for our design system, you’ll work side-by-side with the Uniform engineers and with the broader design chapter to maintain and manage contributions to our design system. You’ll be a part of the Platform group whose mission is to ‘keep product squads focused on customers.’ You’ll be entering Hudl at an incredible time for Uniform: defining the future of what our design system will be, what it looks like and how it scales for collaboration, efficiency and inclusion.
As a qualified candidate, you have a strong background in design systems and an online portfolio you can share with us. We’re looking for the right person with deep Figma expertise, not the right sports person—show us what you’ve got. You will always advocate for user experience, accessibility, inclusion, customer journeys and design excellence.
This role reports to the VP of Design.
Hudl has a flexible location policy. We would love this Hudlie to be in Lincoln, NE, Omaha, NE or Boston, MA where we have Hudl Offices but this position is also offered remotely within the U.S.
- Invest in the design chapter and our collective success. You’ll work openly with the design team to shape our culture, processes and tools, and facilitate onboarding of awesome new designers to our design system. You’ll find the ways to scale your influence and impact, reaching the design chapter across the organization to build our understanding and usage of our design system. You’ll be an advocate, evangelist and expert.
- Be open, transparent and communicative. You know how to work in and lead a nimble design system team through process, building shared understanding and establishing a vision. You excel in giving and receiving feedback and critique. You can confidently articulate your design strategy and solutions to stakeholders and cross-functional partners. You can stay laser-focused on the experience and you have a willingness to question the status quo. You can back your designs, perspectives and decisions in rationale, ideation and customer understanding.
- Drive toward outcomes at scale. You closely scrutinize processes with the goal of improving continually over time to better support our squads–understanding that technical, business and design constraints factor into product decisions. You’re able to balance being a hands-on contributor and a collaborative leader, thinking holistically about the future of our Uniform design system and deeply about individual features and workflows that squads work on. You know how to emphasize the business value of design and why accessibility matters, through socialization, teaching and action.
- A passionate, experienced practitioner. You have 6+ years of experience working in digital product and service design (hardware knowledge is a plus!) with strong interaction and visual design skills. You have 3+ years experience working in and leading design systems. You are an expert in Figma, specifically AutoLayout, Variants and Interactive Components with proficiency in Component Properties, newly released features and branching. You have a strong understanding of the WCAG Accessibility standards.
- Nimble. You have strong organizational skills. You are comfortable with ambiguity and can create both tactical and big-picture views that align teams to get there. You understand native mobile conventions and iOS + Android guidelines, and the nuances of designing for different form factors. You’re proficient and familiar with reading and understanding HTML/CSS and React (React Native a bonus!). You’re able to choose the best medium and fidelity to convey your ideas at each stage of a project and you’re not afraid to socialize explorations to validate or invalidate your assumptions and opinions.
- A supporting leader who lifts people up. You are someone who embraces and encourages diversity and varied perspectives, and you have a consistent track record of coaching and mentoring talented designers to achieve their best performance. You know how to scale your influence and connect with distributed, global design teams. You’re as proud of your organizational tools as you are your best pieces of design work.
- A storyteller and dot connector. You can demonstrate an understanding of customer and squad needs and set an example of delivering impactful experiences for customers. You communicate in a collaborative and confident manner that builds trust with your teams. You are an expert communicator and collaborator capable of working closely and partnering with product managers, engineers and designers to drive vision, alignment and strategy forward.
- Treat you like an adult. We’re all about a healthy work-life balance. We’ll give you unlimited vacation time and have company-wide timeout days (no meetings allowed).
- Provide career growth. We’re lifelong learners who encourage professional development. We’ll give you tons of resources and opportunities to keep growing.
- Supply you with tools for success. We've invested in our office spaces, designing them with our employees in mind. You’ll have the enriching, flexible environment and powerful hardware you need to do your job well.
- Celebrate work at Hudl retreats. We like to gather our Hudlies from around the world to showcase achievements and strategize for the future.
- Support your mental and physical health. We care about our employees’ wellbeing. Our Employee Assistance Program, Employee Resource Groups and fitness partner Peerfit have you covered.
- Cover your medical insurance. We have multiple plans to pick from to ensure you’ll have the coverage you (and your dependents) want.
Diversity at Hudl
Hudl is an equal opportunity employer. We understand the power of a diverse team, celebrate differences and promote inclusive and accessible environments.
To promote Hudlies being their authentic selves and give everyone opportunities for allyship, we offer employee resource groups. These employee-led groups are drawn together by common affinities, passions and life experiences:
- Her Hudl
- Hudl Black
- Mental Health Champions
- Community Champions
We recognize there’s ongoing work to be done and track our efforts and commitments in annual diversity reports.