We believe each moment in sports can change the plan, change the game and change lives. That’s why our mission is to build the world’s most powerful network of sports video and data to empower teams to make every moment count.
How? By hiring people around the world who want to help us support coaches, players, analysts, recruiters, teams, clubs and fans. Hudl customers use our products to capture video, analyze data, share highlights and a lot more. They stay ahead of the game with the latest technology and we help them achieve their goals.
Want to join us?
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Core Video team, which builds the systems that encode video coming from across Hudl’s products and deliver it to our users around the globe. You’ll work on systems operating at some of the broadest scale Hudl offers—we encode petabytes of video annually, store a total of more than 40 petabytes of video, and our encoding pipeline scales to more than 10,000 servers on our busiest nights.
Video is the foundation of everything Hudl customers do and on this team you’ll truly be at its core. We engage with web microservices, our encoding farm, content delivery networks, and reusable libraries for playing back video in our client apps. Our services are written primarily with C# (.NET 6), with frontends in TypeScript and React and the database in MongoDB. Our team also works frequently with AWS services such as EC2, SQS, and Lambda using Terraform.
Example initiatives include:
- Finding new, novel ways to deliver media on the fly to reduce storage costs and scale with increased upload traffic.
- Helping Hudl transition from the world of video-on-demand to live video to unlock new opportunities across multiple products and customer segments.
- Creating a set of media publishing APIs and services that allow Hudl to ingest video from an ever-evolving set of products and origins with minimal friction.
- A coach. You care deeply about your team and are experienced in developing, mentoring, and serving them.
- A communicator. You know how to communicate the value and complexity of technical work to non-technical peers. You’re comfortable partnering with product leaders to prioritize roadmap initiatives and connect them to technical work.
- Curious. Motivated to explore the unknown because it's the unknown. You don't hesitate to pick up a new language or framework when it's the best tool for the job because you can master it as needed.
- Team-oriented. Understand that problem solving is a team effort and will help others in our Engineering Team learn and develop their skills.
- User-focused. Excited to have your work used by real people to solve real problems.
- Willing to learn. You have solid engineering skills but are always willing to dive into specific areas to gain the expertise needed to be successful in your role.
- Manage engineers. You will be responsible for coaching, developing, and serving engineers on your team.
- Extend and maintain pipelines used by many of Hudl’s products. You will play a key role in the discovery, development and maintenance of systems and services that help other engineers deliver video-centered experiences more easily.
- Deliver great value. You will work on systems that are critical to Hudl’s ability to ingest and deliver video, impacting every customer that uploads to Hudl or watches a game.
- Be a cross-functional member of your team. You will work with other team members to plan, develop, test, and ship the work you do.
- Be an involved team member. You will work collaboratively in scrum ceremonies and proactively and thoughtfully create tickets for the team’s backlog.
- Celebrate work at Hudl retreats. We like to gather our Hudlies from around the world to showcase achievements and strategize for the future.
- Treat you like an adult. We’re all about a healthy work-life balance. We’ll give you unlimited vacation time and have company-wide timeout days (no meetings allowed).
- Provide career growth. We’re lifelong learners who encourage professional development. We’ll give you tons of resources and opportunities to keep growing.
- Supply you with tools for success. We've invested in our office spaces, designing them with our employees in mind. You’ll have the enriching, flexible environment and powerful hardware you need to do your job well.
- Support your mental and physical health. We care about our employees’ wellbeing. Our Employee Assistance Program, Employee Resource Groups and fitness partner Peerfit have you covered.
- Cover your medical insurance. We have multiple plans to pick from to ensure you’ll have the coverage you (and your dependents) want.
- Contribute to your 401(K). Yep, that’s free money. We’ll match up to 4% of your own contribution.
Diversity at Hudl
Hudl is an equal opportunity employer. We understand the power of a diverse team, celebrate differences and promote inclusive and accessible environments.
To promote Hudlies being their authentic selves and give everyone opportunities for allyship, we offer employee resource groups. These employee-led groups are drawn together by common affinities, passions and life experiences:
- Her Hudl
- Hudl Black
- Mental Health Champions
- Community Champions
We recognize there’s ongoing work to be done and track our efforts and commitments in annual diversity reports.