Hudl is changing the future of sports technology. We build video analysis and stat tools for teams around the world, at every level of competition. Our software provides over 3.5 million coaches and athletes the insight they need to win.
We need an experienced analyst to join our Data Analytics team in Lincoln or Omaha, Nebraska. You’ll use the incredible amount of data we have to help others at Hudl make better decisions. And your work will have a lot of variety.
Before we go into details, there are important things you should know about this opportunity:
- You’ll be based in Lincoln or Omaha, Nebraska - whichever is more convenient for you.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis .
If you can meet all of those requirements for us, read on.
To help teams and athletes win, we need a Lead Data Analyst. The Lead Data Analyst is part of the foundation of the Decision Science team and will be essential to the opportunities as our unit scales to provide world class insights that drive ROI through every element of the business.
Our team is in the midst of a fundamental shift in the way that we approach analytics. In the past, we worked in ad hoc analytics, answering isolated questions by creating single-purpose datasets that were overlapping, conflicting, non-optimized, and difficult to test and maintain because they lacked shared foundations.
Our future is one of unified analytics, where we build shared, foundational data assets designed to deliver cross-cutting intelligence and insights across business domains. Our priorities are shifting from serving only local needs to making a bigger impact on global needs, with a mandate for consistency, efficiency, speed, and quality so that our way of analytics scales.
Decision Science is a high impact, cross-functional team of Data Analysts, Data Engineers, Predictive Analysts, Data Scientists, and Consumer Insights Researchers at Hudl. We combine qualitative and quantitative data to deliver actionable insights and scalable analyses to power strategy at the highest levels. We partner with internal Hudl teams and business leaders by providing self-service analytics, custom insights, and foresights to help them drive their business forward.
On any given day, we might be writing SQL queries to understand user behavior over time or running data through statistical models to help our teams forecast and set better goals. Here are some projects that we're working on:
- Building a predictive model to determine the likelihood that a customer will renew their subscription with Hudl
- Designing and building database schemas to support point-and-click analytics and visualizations in Looker for our employees to use
- Deliver insights to guide product development of features that will drive engagement and pull more users into the Hudl platform
- Helping teams to commercialize on data by feeding it back into the product
- Highly Driven. You believe that analytics is the foundation of high performance business. You seek out the best opportunities that provide the highest ROI. You are also comfortable operating with ambiguity. You forge your own path into uncharted territory by identifying next steps, getting others onboard, and taking decisive action.
- Analytical, analytical, analytical. Making decisions based on instinct raises a red flag for you. You think data is more important than opinions. You love finding patterns in data.
- Strategic. You connect the dots and believe that looking at the broader picture creates an environment that enables world-class analytics.
- Not one for the status quo. “That’s the way we’ve always done it” isn’t in your vocabulary. You constantly look for ways to innovate and make things better. Good is never good enough.
- Stakeholder First. You champion stakeholder needs and have an intuitive grasp of business problems.
- The type that gets stuff done. You identify with your work. You’re restless without a project on your task list. You have a list of finished projects that you can look back on with pride.
- An all star with SQL. You can write advanced SQL queries to manipulate data and power insightful reports
- An accomplished data storyteller. You can communicate technical analysis to a non-technical audience. You have experience delivering powerful visual messages to the executive level and can call them to action using data. You effectively use data visualizations to enhance consumption of data and not distract from it.
- Provide Thought Leadership. No one knows the analytics space better than you. You will provide thought leadership as to not only what is now, but what is next. Whether it be software, people, or processes, you know what is best in class and can anticipate what is yet-to-come.
- Maintain Analysis Process. As a lead DA, you are expected to be an expert in the entire analytics tech stack. You will prioritize projects that lead to efficiencies for the entire Decision Science organization.
- Evangelize Massive Insights. You understand the key to driving results with data are the insights it provides. You will create data models, visual analytics, and self-service opportunities that provide and lead to insights that impact the highest levels of Hudl.
- Write lots of SQL. SQL is the core of all data processes at Hudl. From parsing complex strings to combining many disjointed data sets, you are an expert at writing SQL and your skill will be utilized to its fullest.
- Pioneer Data Quality. Your role on the Decision Science team is to lead by contributing. Through experience, you will lead data quality initiatives that extend beyond basic reporting. You will work directly with cross-functional stakeholders to identify areas of risk and be relentless in your pursuit to stop incorrect data from making its way out of the source. You will use your experience to guide the team to adopt robust and well-architected validation.
- Unify Analytics. You will look for opportunities where people are operating from disparate understandings on KPIs and bring them together to reconcile the differences and get everyone to a shared understanding.
- You have an expert understanding of the analytics space, from data generation, movement, presentation and all of the tools that enable data driven organizations to thrive.
- You have 8+ years of experience in the analytics space in varying roles (i.e. Analyst, Project Manager, Data Scientist etc.).
- You are an expert at writing SQL.
- You are an experienced mentor. You can demonstrate situations of not only doing at high level, but also an expert at training a new technical base of users.
- You have software development experience and are proficient or can become proficient in various programming languages (Python, R, Java etc.).
- You have experience delivering analytical and statistical insights to high level stakeholders resulting in high ROI outcomes.
- You have experience leading organization-wide efforts to articulate and implement a vision for analytical greatness within large companies.
- You are a great communicator who has demonstrated experience bringing opposing parties to consensus and understanding, pushing the delivery of high quality data products.